african violet

MaureenJames(04345)February 10, 2013

hi there, I have av, not knowing what to do with it,I have had it about a month and it's not doing anything,I have it sitting in my window,but I guess sunlight is too strong for it,I don't know to care for it,when to clip or to water it,how to get it to bloom etc,it's winter here in maine I do not know if that's a problem or not, I also have another plant I don't know what it is,it looks ok,but I think its some type of creeping vine plant, its looks ok,it just doesnt seem to be growing rapidly as I would expect,will post a picture of both, I also have a aloe,that a friend planted in dirt from outside ,wich I think was a big mistake,so I replanted it in some potting soil,hoping I didnt kill the poor thing..help i'm not a green thumb!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda

For your African Violet, go to the African Violet Society of America's website and read about the culture. They are not difficult to grow if provided with a few basics.
Hope this helps!

Linda

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 2:09PM
lilypad22(7)

They do slow down growth in winter, especially if your home is cooler. If it is in the window, I would think it is getting too cool in your area, especially at night. Direct sun can burn the leaves if it is too strong, should have a sheer curtain between the window and the plant. Mine are in the windows but I'm in Atlanta and its warmer here. Don't keep it too wet, they will rot, water when it starts to dry out. Fertilize occassionally. Only take off the leaves that don't look good, are getting old, discolored, droopy usually on the bottom of the plant. Checking out more info at avsa.org is a good idea.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 10:39PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi, I'm just visiting from the Houseplant & Cactus & Succulent Forum.

About the Aloe, potting soil is almost the worst thing you could use for it (it usually has peat in it, which hardens off over time, making it impossible for the plant to drink) . Pls. find Cactus & Succulent mix & add abt 40% perlite to it & pls. be sure the pot has a hole in it. Otherwise, you may expect problems. Then don't water it for a week or 2, or until you see new growth.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 5:14PM
More Discussions
Top Dollar And Tommie Lou
I read that Top Dollar was one of the original 10,...
lucky123
Fluorescent Lighting Questions
Hi Guys.... so i have not been super happy with my...
kaityinoregon
Another newbie question
If the Rob's Combustible Pigeon has 3 sports and another...
frankielynnsie
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Red tint and leaves drooping
After moving my AV to a brighter window the leaves...
loveofbostons
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™