AV Sports

thominindy(6)February 24, 2009

Hello Everyone. Another wonderful week.

I have been reading about AV sports and I still don't quite get it. Please explain.

Thank you

Thom in Indy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fred_hill(6)

A sport is simply a plant that did not conform to the original hybrid.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 12:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilypad22(7)

Just say you grew a violet. You read the AVSA description, standard, single pink bloom, plain green leaves. You grow that plant and it always looks like that.

Then one day...you look at it and surprise, it is growing different..the flower color, the leaf color something is not following its previous growth pattern.....and it isn't because your plant has insects or virus or desease, ha. It just keeps growing and blooming different than it did when it was growing like its description. This plant is now a sport.

I have been growing Gher Lollipop for 2-3 years. Always it has double white with touch of yellow sometimes bloom. BUT, this past bloom cycle, it is less double, the flowers are a light pink with green edge. IF it has sported, it will have to continue to bloom this way and not go back to the double white. It was quite a surprise. I like pink and green on blooms, but I LOVED my little Lollipop and am quite upset about it. I had been watering my streps with tomato fertilizer and sometimes the violets got it too if there was some left in the watering can when a plant was dry, they get whatever is in there, which should be fine for gesneriads-always diluted plant fertilizer. Anyway...if this could have caused it, I don't know...there is not anything else that was different than what I've always been doing. I'm hoping with plain water and repotting, it will come back white next time it blooms. If not, its pretty and I'll just get another Lollipop.

tish

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Brown leaves
Since this morning I noticed that multiple leaves of...
Hanieh M.
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Mini Wick Pot Solution Found!
My hubby actually came up with this one -- he's like...
oriole6
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™