lighting question

pembroke(6--Louisville KY)February 14, 2014

will the lighting make a difference in color of blooms? Using florescent lights on stand. Thanks for your thoughts. Pembroke

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cookie_grow

I am not sure whether natural or artificial lights will affect the color of the blooms. I know that the distance of lights from the plant itself will affect the color of the foliage. Also duration of lights (i.e. how long lights are on) will affect the number of blooms.

Also, temperature will affect the color of the blooms. Cooler temperatures will cause flowers to discolor.

Hope this helps, Cooks.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 2:50PM
Linda

Pembroke,

Some 'gro-lights' will affect the color of the blooms. If you want the blooms to appear their natural color, use one warm white and one cool white bulb. You do not need a fancy (more expensive), grow light to grow and bloom your violets. I have been using this combination for well over forty years and I have beautiful violets!

Linda

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 3:47PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

I would say the flowers - especially reds - look better under grow lights. Plants grow the same under cool/warm white combination.
So may be makes sense to keep 1 shelf with grow lights for enjoyment. Somewhere where you can see them.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 7:37PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

I would say the flowers - especially reds - look better under grow lights. Plants grow the same under cool/warm white combination.
So may be makes sense to keep 1 shelf with grow lights for enjoyment. Somewhere where you can see them.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 7:38PM
quimoi

It is usually the perceived color that changes, not the actual color. Gro-Lux bulbs are notorious for enhancing the reds.

However, temperatures may certainly affect bloom colors, as can fertilizers, water, and such. However, the "red" violet that turns brownish when you take it out from under the lights wasn't really that red in the first place :). Some light combinations are more "natural" than others.

Diana

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Nancy Robitaille
It occurred to me when I saw the post on propagating...
froeschli
Too much light?
I thought that my miniature AV was doing OK with a...
Larry Mayer
Optimara Rita
Looking for Optimara Rita AV leaves. Would love to...
carolyn18810
Optimare Violets changed their flowers ... just to be balanced.
#1 This Optimara was pink with tiny purple dots near...
jujujojo_gw
Worm castings
Has anyone actually used these? A year or more ago,...
fortyseven_gw
Sponsored Products
Lakebed Set Ava 5-Light Bronze Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Glow Square Table
$449.00 | FRONTGATE
Roma 9 Light Chandelier by Corbett Lighting
$3,070.00 | Lumens
Antique Pewter Finish Arched 13" High Sconce
Lamps Plus
WAC Lighting | LEDme Impluse Low Voltage Track Lighting
$216.00 | YLighting