Optimara AV's at Walmart

printmaster1February 22, 2013

Optimara had announced on FB early this week that they had shipped to Wally World and should be ready by this weekend. I checked the local store on the way home last night and BINGO!
$2.99 each made it even better!
Modesty, Scarlett, & Millenia is what I went home with, but they had several others.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seaj

Wow those look great! Were they in a particular spot in the store? I live in California so most stores place all their plants outside, including the African Violets and Phalaenopsis orchids even during the winter. Most look extra dead within days. Even my Trader Joe's puts their violets outside all day long in the sun and winter cold.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 4:12PM
seaj

Also, did you happen to see any mini violets? Thanks again for the heads up.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 4:18PM
terrilou

Lucky you! I called a couple of Walmarts in my area of Indiana and they don't have any. A grower from Illinois indicated she hadn't located any either. Guess we'll have to wait for another shipment!

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 10:29AM
chiquib313

Did these AV's have name tags or did you just identify them from the Optimara website? I have seen them at Walmart & Lowe's but never with name tags.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 3:19PM
printmaster1

I have been to five different stores and only three had AV's. Only one had a name tag. I had to go to the Optimara site for names, "MyViolet.com". I did find a Maui too.
Two stores had them inside the building and one was outside but heated.
Lonnie

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 1:23PM
seaj

I went to two stores and couldn't find any. I also went to an Orchard Supply and saw some nice looking violets, but the flowers weren't very exciting so I passed. Maybe the plants are taking an extra day to make it to the West coast?

This post was edited by seaj on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 0:43

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 12:42AM
printmaster1

Seaj,
There were a few mini's.
Check this link to see if they ship to your local.
http://www.myviolet.com/retail

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 9:10AM
printmaster1

The link didn't show Walmart at all in my area, but three of five stores had them.
Check their FB page - Optimara African Violets.
Lonnie

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 9:14AM
seaj

Thanks for the tips Lonnie. I went to my third Walmart this morning and still no luck. According to their Facebook page they don't sell their minis to retail stores, and those are the only ones I have space for right now. I did try the store search on their site and it lead me back to the nursery where I bought all my violets from in the first place. I'll just head back there the next chance I get since they have a marvelous selection of mini violets. They are a retail nursery so all the plants are only $1.49 to $2.50, but they are too far away to make the trip as often as I'd like.

Does anyone know where Trader Joe's gets their violets from? I've never got a good look at their violets but I know they sell them.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 4:01PM
terrilou

Seaj, Somewhere on their Facebook page, Optimara says they also supply violets to Trader Joes.

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 8:23AM
printmaster1

Lowe's also has a few Optimara. I bought two mini's from Lowe's, they were in a tiny tea pots.
Lonnie

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 8:35AM
aviolet6(7)

My Lowes is selling a bunch of recently killed minis for $2.49 each! The way they take care of their plants is attrocious!

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 10:33AM
seaj

I checked out Lowe's today but there were no violets there either, but the selection of other plants was pretty great so the trip was semi-successful. I'll try my luck at Trader Joe's next. They sell them for 2.99 there, but I'm sure the plants will be in bad shape unless you get them fresh in the morning.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 3:07AM
printmaster1

aviolet6,
I agree with you. They over/under water everything. They literially don't care. The nusery has to reimburse them for anything that dies and it cost money to pay someone to water and take care of each plant.

Lonnie

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 1:24PM
printmaster1

Last night (02.28.13) at my local Walmart. They still have a healthy supply of Optimara violets.

Lonnie

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 9:51AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Guys -

Optimara's AVs always come with fungus gnats and thrips! Get prepared to treat the pests!

Irina, the spoilsport

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 1:50PM
gerris2

I love everyones photos, thanks for sharing them.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 9:46AM
Jannich(8b)

I'm loving the pictures also but please be careful.I bought a AV at my walmart last week and put it in a gallon plastic bag for isolation, later on I took the pot off but still in the bag and looked with my mini microscope and found soil mealies.Isalate,isaltate,isalate.

Jan

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
Mini Wick Pot Solution Found!
My hubby actually came up with this one -- he's like...
oriole6
First blooms
My Fair Lady. Isn't she grand? :)
sueok_gw
learning the NEW way
Just trying to find out how to post. Pembroke
pembroke
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
Fluorescent Lighting Questions
Hi Guys.... so i have not been super happy with my...
kaityinoregon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™