Yellow leaves

Judy5350February 4, 2014

The older leaves on some of my violets are turning yellow and speckled but are not drooping or falling off. The flowers are fine. The leaves appear healthy except for the yellowing. I use 1/2 tsp. every other week of Peters 12-36-14 (no urea) and bottled spring water. I have used this for years. Do I need a change of fertilizer? I use grow lights 8 hours per day. Please see attached photo.
Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

Judy5350,
What type of water do you use to water your AV? Bottled water, tap water, filtered tap water?

Planto

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 1:15PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Something with water and fertilizer. Not dangerous. Reduce your Peters to 1/4 of a teaspoon, leach soil and remove the affected leaves - they are not going to get better.
If it was a tap water - I would say chloramine. Spring water - also comes from a tap - and depending on a brand - it is filtered really well -or not.

Leach your soil with distilled water with a small amount of a fish emiulsion. Will give your plant a boost.

I.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 1:54PM
Judy5350

My soil is one part each of sphagnum moss, perlite, and vermiculite. Could the soil mixture also be a problem?

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 6:46PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Are you talking about sphagnum peat - black stuff- or sphagnum moss - the yellow chopped parts of the plant?

You can check pH.

I.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
Violet ID?
Hi Y'all! I was curious what these violets would be?...
suyoder
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
little moon stone (images)
This AV plant is actually quite large. The flowers...
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™