rooting blooms

pembroke(6--Louisville KY)February 4, 2011

I know that this is probably not new but it is for me.I put a bloom off of Frozen In Time in a brown vanilla bottle with plain water until roots started coming out. I then potted in small yogurt cup. Plant looking good and full. Question: How long until blooms appear? and will they come back as parent or something else? as said my first time doing this. Pembroke

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Cannot say anything about the bloom. Usually it is the bloomstalk that gets rooted and it needs to have large enough "leaves" to give to a new plant.

In average it takes twice longer to get a new blooming plant from a bloomstalk than from a leaf - so the recommedation is - I just read it in 5 years old AV magazine - to use this method if you have a chimera that doesn't want to give suckers = or if your plant sported and gave a gorgeous bloom on one bloomstalk - and you want to capture it.

Since it is a good way to propagate chimeras - presumably the plants come true much more often than from a leaf. So you can expect your Frozen in Time" to stay "Frozen".

Good Luck and my congratulations with mastering a new technique.

irina

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 6:11PM
pembroke(6--Louisville KY)

irina: Thank you. I should have said the bloomstalk along with the flowers were put in bottle. Thanks again. Pembroke

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 1:23PM
lilypad22(7)

Congratulations on your success. I've tried rooting bloomstalks several different times and they always rotted before they rooted.

tish

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 11:48PM
tmc16

I didn't know you could root a bloomstalk. I had one break off last night so I put it in water. How long does it take for roots to appear?

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 4:25PM
pembroke(6--Louisville KY)

I think about 3 wks I started seeing hair like roots. Kind of looked like like where I might have torn the cut just a little but sure enough was a root. I let the roots get about an inch long then potted in small yogurt cup. Looking good. Pembroke

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Does anyone recognize this AV?
I was given a leaf last summer, identified as Optimara...
sueok_gw
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
Fluorescent Lighting Questions
Hi Guys.... so i have not been super happy with my...
kaityinoregon
Mini Wick Pot Solution Found!
My hubby actually came up with this one -- he's like...
oriole6
Need help to ID
I was given this plant and told it was an African violet....
niccelap
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™