Watering

louie4646February 11, 2010

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum. I have a question on watering, I use fresh water fish water to water my african violets. Should I also use a fertilizer as well? I'm afraid I will overferilize if I add the additional fertilizer. I grow my violets in oyama pots and they are growing and flowering alright. Thank you, Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snappyguy

I don't know about with self-watering pots but I use conventional pots and water with Optimara AV fertilizer every time. The plants do great with it. The key is having very dilute fertilizer, and the Optimara has directions on it specifically for watering AVs.

Bookmark   February 11, 2010 at 6:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Lisa-

you are giving your plant already naturally fertilized water - fish emulsion of a sort - and as long as it works for you - I wouldn't change it. If you want to try Optimara fertilizer - and it is a very good one - you can every so often - let's say every 4th time - refill your pots with 1/4 teaspoon per gallon solution to add some trace elements and what else that can be lacking. You will see if your violets will benefit from it or not and decide if you want to do it.

Irina

Bookmark   February 12, 2010 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
spreading your wings to other AV groups
Here is a link.There are also other groups as well. http://z15.invisionfree.com/Violet_Reflections/index.php?act=idx...
fortyseven_gw
Nancy Robitaille
It occurred to me when I saw the post on propagating...
froeschli
African Violets -New to this, need ideas on plants selections!
I recently placed a few orders with PJ's Violets. I...
Marigold33
Propagate and Sell Registered AVs?
I am getting into propagating and growing AVs and was...
mojosavage
What is happening to my African Violet leaves?
The edges are getting pale and brown and drying up....
louder92
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™