seed pods

Jajohnson2(8 WA)February 22, 2005

For the first time, I'm seeing what appear to be seed pods on a couple of my AVs. How can I tell for sure and, if they are pods, how will I know when they are ripe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Judy,

One way you will know that they are seed pods is that they won't wilt and go away. I have never grown seed pods to the point where one has viable seeds. I've heard it takes somewhere between six and nine months. You will know when they are completely ripe when they become dry and crisp and the pod will open to disburse the seeds. It has always sounded fun to me but I never wanted to wait that long. I wound up buying seed through a mail-order company and planted that instead. It is fun to grow seed from African violets at least once in one's life. I may do it again sometime. Who knows. Right now I am growing other kinds of geseriads and barely have room for them.

Good luck. I hope you have a viable pod.

Larry

Bookmark   February 22, 2005 at 6:28PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Judy,

Here is a link to Rachel's reflections. Go down to hybridizing and she explains the whole process and what to do with the seeds afterwards.

Have fun

Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachels Reflections

Bookmark   February 22, 2005 at 6:39PM
fred_hill(6)

Hi,
If you are seeing seed pods on your violets and haven't pollinated them youself, I suggest that you do a careful check for thrips. Generally violets don't set pods by themselves. They need help and thrips very often do the job.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   February 22, 2005 at 7:35PM
Jajohnson2(8 WA)

Here's what they look like. I'm not sure they are pods.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 6:21PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Judy,

The picture that you have looks more like unfertilized ovaries. Seed pods are a little more plump and swollen.

Larry

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 7:56PM
fred_hill(6)

Hi again,
If you are looking at the two little green lumps attached to the stem in the center of the picture, they aren't seed pods. They are what is left of the blossom after the flower has fallen off. You can take off the entire stem or petiole when this happens. You will get no more bloom from that bloomstalk.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
Followed Me Home ID?
This is more red/fuschia in real life. Red Reverse,...
lucky123
Photographing AV's Question
This AV is a very dark shade of purple in real life...
lucky123
Need help to ID
I was given this plant and told it was an African violet....
niccelap
Another newbie question
If the Rob's Combustible Pigeon has 3 sports and another...
frankielynnsie
boron deficiency?
i have heard this term thrown around some recently...
suyoder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™