(pic) Optimara's Little Azurite :-)

m3rma1d(inside)February 8, 2008

For those who don't know, I'm on a mission to collect all of the plants from Optimara's "Little Gems" series. I only have two so far, Little Diamond and Little Azurite. (I used to have 3, but Little Moonstone kicked the bucket )

But anyhooz, back to Little Azurite.

With the deep blue-purple and crisp white edge, this one is just so.... HANDSOME! Even my boyfriend really likes this guy.

I wish this wasn't the very most favorite plant I own, it needs some SERIOUS sucker-surgerizing--but, being my favorite, I am way too scared to mess with it. (But I promise I won't yell at everyone here and blame you all for it LOL!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fred_hill(6)

Hi,
Don't be scared to take off the suckers. In time they will ruin the shape of the plant if you leave them on. When you are removing the suckers and leaves and are repotting it, put a couple leaves down in light soil mix and more likely than not you will have more than you can handle.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   February 8, 2008 at 8:52PM
dragonfly2008

Beautiful plant! I always like the purples.
I have Optimara Little Moonstone. Love that plant! Actually I have lots of little moonstones because there has been a lot of suckering and I can't resist potting them up. Did you know that Optimara Little Moonstone is on the cover of the 2008 AVSA calendar?

Bookmark   February 9, 2008 at 10:07AM
m3rma1d(inside)

I didn't know about that 'cos I haven't gotten a calendar yet--I finally joined AVSA a couple weeks ago, but the calendars were outta stock :-(

Lemme know if you ever wanna trade (or $ell) a Little Moonstone when the weather warms up!! :-)

Bookmark   February 9, 2008 at 5:25PM
dragonfly2008

Yes I would be happy to trade when the weather gets better!

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 8:46AM
krystyna1937

What a beautiful flower! Excellent photography, too.
By all means take off the suckers and plant them separately, both the parent and the sucker will thrive the more.
Thanks for sharing this.
Krys

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 6:35PM
m3rma1d(inside)

Everytime I mess with things and go sucker-cutting, the suckers never make it, and the parent plant starts going South too...
So, I know I *shouldn't* be scared, and I *should* be cutting them off... But I'm a big wuss!

Still, at least I won't come and blame you all for my shortcomings :-D

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 6:43PM
angel2008

gosh dang it mermie, go and take those suckers off. While your at it have you attempted to do any hybridizing yet. Dont be chicken. See ya later in chitty chat.

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 7:15PM
m3rma1d(inside)

"gosh dang it mermie, go and take those suckers off. While your at it have you attempted to do any hybridizing yet. Dont be chicken. See ya later in chitty chat."

LOL Who is this!? You obviously know me all too well...
See you in chitty chat tonight, indeed!

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
miniature and varigated african violets
Where can I buy miniature and variegated African violets...
miriamb60
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
Photographing AV's Question
This AV is a very dark shade of purple in real life...
lucky123
Brown leaves
Since this morning I noticed that multiple leaves of...
Hanieh M.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™