new plant

hummersteveFebruary 3, 2008

Hi guys-- I saw this av at wm which had huge flowers on it but it was in pretty sad shape and if they had two of these I would have gotten both but , anyway I brought it home changed the soil and deadheaded and removed the flower stalks and have separated it from my other plants. I believe it has a good chance because the leaves are extremely healthy and I will also put some leaves down. The large flowers on this plant were of a reddish color , some of you might have a hint of what it might be.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilypad22(7)

I bought a huge healthy plant at Pike nursery. It too had huge red bloom but within two weeks it went down hill so fast I couldn't believe it. By the time I knew anything was wrong, it was too late to save it. I still don't know what happened, but it was separated from my other plants. I did take some leaves to start while it was looking good and they are rooting nicely, isolated also, so all was not lost. There can't be too many plants with a bloom like it. I hope you find out the name. I'll keep an eye out at our wms for another one. tish

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 8:51PM
hummersteve

lilypad--- I too will keep looking for a similar plant , but its not likely I will see another like thats why I put down leaves from it. By the way Ive had this for a week now and still looks good. I have it under the light over my range from microwave and it seems to be happy there. It certainly wasnt getting enough light at wm, they never do. They are always on a lower shelf and drowned in water, so I just have to keep a look out. I have done well on saving plants from there, maybe just lucky.

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 12:03AM
tweetypye(z8/sc AL)

I haven't seen that one at my local WM, sounds really pretty. All my AV's have been rescued from WM, and are doing beautifully for me. All are regular size except for one mini. I posted a link to photos of them in a previous thread.
Show us a photo of your new one if you can. I'd love to see the blooms. :)
Jan

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Worm castings
Has anyone actually used these? A year or more ago,...
fortyseven_gw
Looking for miniature AV culture advice
Boy, that title should open me up to a comment or two....or...
Bill
Thanks for helpful hints
Just a note to let you all know that while researching...
michellervt
African Violets -New to this, need ideas on plants selections!
I recently placed a few orders with PJ's Violets. I...
Marigold33
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Lighting. Twin Head Bird of Paradise Bronze Solar LED Path Light
$29.97 | Home Depot
20" Ribbed Amphora Copper Planter - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Tan Nautical On Cream Empire Lamp Shade 6x12x8 (Spider)
$59.91 | Lamps Plus
Forever Green Art Boxwood Topiary
Beyond Stores
Zinnia Wall Flower
Grandin Road
Fine Art Lamps Quadralli 435740ST Three-Light Pendant
LuxeDecor
Red Carpet Studios Chime Grandma's Relics Truck - Red Multicolor - 13386
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Blue Dragon's Wing Spinner Stake
$17.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™