lokoing for grangers wonderland

mbromelFebruary 13, 2014

hi there, im fairly new here but im trying to find grangers wonderland, or even something similar. i was hoping to find a plant for my father, he had one that recently died that as far as i can tell looked very similar to grangers wonderland. it belonged to his mother and had high sentimental value to him. anyone know where i might be able to find something like that?
thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fortyseven_gw

Try contacting Tina at BloomLovers, in Canada. You can look up the contact information on the internet.
Someone else might have other suggestions.
Joanne

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 9:17PM
quimoi

Bloomlovers is the only place I actually saw Granger's Wonderland, but if you only want something similar, you might find it somewhere else.

I was kind of wanting Wonderland too, but it seems to be rather scarce. Someone might be able to suggest others that are like it. Harbor Blue is a very nice large violet with single blue flowers, but I don't know if it's the same color.

Maverick's Faded Jeans is a smaller plant with very nice blue blooms.

Diana in PA

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 5:34PM
quimoi

Is anyone here actually familiar with it? I saw an interview with an older hybridizer (hate to guess on the name) who named it as a favorite but it is really scarce.

I've chased so many that were disappointing when I got them. I think some have simply deteriorated over the years and we don't get the original strain.

Diana

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 1:57PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Granger's Wonderland - hyb. Eyerdom.

You can still find it. As far as I remember - it is a LARGE plant.
I can see it is popping on Florida shows - find who showed it, write them a letter and ask for a leaf.

Another oldie that has a nice light blue is Rodeo Country. I grew it, it is not as large - and it blooms all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 1:58PM
quimoi

Thank you. I did find the recommendation for Rodeo Country but it's about as elusive as Wonderland. I was really trying to limit the number of vendors! I will wait until it's warmer since I have already ordered too many (but I know I won't keep them all).

I do tend to gravitate toward those space hogs.

Diana

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 3:25PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Aha - like 4 plants per shelf. I have 'Magnolia" at full bloom right now. 'Tiger' is not a small plant too.

I.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 1:58PM
quimoi

When I grew Tiger it was on a pedestal on a table beside the window so it wasn't really a problem. Now I have a cat...one who is not so careful. Maybe if I stick the pot to the pedestal and put sticky tape all over the rest of it!

Magnolia is pretty (had to look it up) and so is White Queen.

Diana

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 3:27PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

My cat is something else. If he thinks that he needs my attention - he pulls the plants of a shelf by the leaves and bites the leaves off. Always in my presence, never on his own. Except for Callisia fragrans. He thinks it is his salad bar.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Photographing AV's Question
This AV is a very dark shade of purple in real life...
lucky123
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
Rob's Humpty Doo
Recently found out this is chimera. First Class didn't...
lilypad22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™