what can be causeing this..?

seattlemarigeneFebruary 7, 2008

This is my violet club project plant.It got hairy after I brought it home.One of the club members thought it might be a type of mildew.I dont see any white but I gave it a light spray with lysol.I always put a little stystemic in the pot when I get a new plant and keep it in a clear box...any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Marigene =

the hairiness is just an indication that your center leaves lost some water. It could be a moving stress. I would try to bag it - and isolate - just in case.

Irina

Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 9:59PM
indoor_greenhouse

Hello,

Never spray water on an African Violet, they do not like
it. The hairy part is often seen in the different colored
leaf violets-this is normal. Just water it through the
bottom of pot, give it African violet food every third watering. They do need artificial light during the winter
time. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: indoor Greenhouse

Bookmark   February 8, 2008 at 10:40PM
fred_hill(6)

Hi,
I disagree with the last message about putting water on the leaves. I wash my leaves periodiaclly with warm running tap water to get any bits of dirt off. The thing not to do is put them back in light before they dry. That's why I generally wash at night when the lights of my plant stand are off and there is no sun streaming thru the windows.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   February 8, 2008 at 10:55PM
vall3fam(9 CentralCA)

I agree with Fred. My plants seem decidedly perkier when I give them a nice rinse and flush out their soil. Of course, like Fred mentioned, don't ever let them get sun or light on them when they are wet! And make sure you get the water out of the crown leaves. I usually just blow with a straw to flush it out.

Elaine

Bookmark   February 9, 2008 at 12:46AM
bspofford

Regarding indoorgardening's recommendation to fertilize every 3rd watering......for me and many others, I fertilize EVERY time I water. Most fertilizers list amounts to use for everytime watering, and for every other, every third, or whatever. If I had to try to remember if this was the third time, I would drive myself nuts!

Barbara, nuts enough

Bookmark   February 9, 2008 at 11:25AM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Watering with COLD water will spot leaves. Using hot water through a spray turns it much cooler. Just spray your hand with hot water and you will feel the temperature.

I also wash my plants with warm tap water about once a year. When spraying with fertilizer in a foliar spray, I use hot water.

African violets, like birds, prefer small meals, constantally. So 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of warm water and water with this about every 7-10 days depending on the humidity in your room. About one every six weeks, run clear warm water through the rootball to release fertilizer salts.

Nancy

Bookmark   February 9, 2008 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
Rob's Humpty Doo
Recently found out this is chimera. First Class didn't...
lilypad22
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
miniature and varigated african violets
Where can I buy miniature and variegated African violets...
miriamb60
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™