Fantasy violets

kinder_devonshire(4b ID)February 16, 2011

Okay, I have a question. I have Storm's Eye (Sorano) that I bought from the Violet Barn last year. It has bloomed and it looks lovely, but there are no fantasy spots on it. The flowers are a lovely large lavender plum, star shaped and ruffled, just like in the description. Are fantasy spots affected by environment?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

I have this plant as well - and it is VERY stingy in showing puff fantasy. It depends on the time of the year if it decide to show a spot or 2.
My best guess - it depends on a plant. If you want a lot of puffs - you probably need to order leaves from Sorano - grow oodles of plantlets to bloom - and select the most "puffy" one. It is a very vigorous plant, grows vert fast, gives lots of babies and blooms to die for with or without fantasy. I like it as it is. As a lot of Sorano's plants - it is not the good candidate for the Show - it will not produce an accurate rosette and the leaves break easily. But it is floriferous and blooms are enormous and very beautiful, puffs or no puffs.

I have it for several years - and I restarted it more than once - but I never had lots of fantasy on progeny. That's why I suggest to go back to Sorano - and get a start from him - because he definitely keeps the best for his mother stock.

Good Luck

irina

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 12:49PM
kinder_devonshire(4b ID)

I do like it as it is right now, I love the lavender flowers on it. I just looked it up because it is getting so ~huge~ and I know I have only bought one large violet. It is just the picture I saw had fantasy, and mine didn't, and I just wondered. And when they say large standard, they mean it. I am looking over his violets though, and trying to figure out if I have room to squeeze a few more in the collection...

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 6:46PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Ddo not squeeze - get another shelf ;-))

Irina

Bookmark   February 17, 2011 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Mini Violets!
Here's some baby miniatures that I absolutely love....
suyoder
Reducing a collection in size
Not saying I have to do this yet, however, what I would...
fortyseven_gw
learning the NEW way
Just trying to find out how to post. Pembroke
pembroke
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™