Powdery Mildew????????

eureka(SS11 LasVegas/Henderson)March 8, 2009

I just took my three AV out of my garden window a few days ago for a drink and a little fertilizer. I thought I noticed a powdery substance on two AV but I was moving quickly and didn't take the time to thoroughly investigate. Yesterday I checked on the plants and I do believe what I'm seeing is powdery mildew. I have never read a thing on this possibility. Anyone experienced this also? And how on earth do I treat the plants w/o getting the leaves wet? Do I use qtips and one of the Safer products?

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Homemade remedy: Half a cup of water, add one tablespoon milk. Paint the leaves with this. Any affected blossoms should be removed since spores will infect other plants.

Nancy

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 10:39AM
m3rma1d(inside)

"And how on earth do I treat the plants w/o getting the leaves wet?"

It's a myth that you can't get African Violet leaves wet. Don't worry :-) Just try not to let water sit in the center crown and you'll be Ok.

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 1:16PM
bspofford

I too get PM once in a while. I keep a can of Lysol spray in my plant supplies. Most advice says to spray above the plant and let it drift down, thus avoiding a cold spray. I make sure the affected area is thoroughly wetted. You could also spray into a container to get the liquid and 'paint' on with a q-tip. The blossoms will be marked if the spray gets on them.

Barbara

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 1:34PM
eureka(SS11 LasVegas/Henderson)

Well alrighty then kids, thank you for the help. I guess I will try each suggestion on each plant. I carry a big box of powdered milk with my garden tools for outside use, just never thought to bring the idea inside. I had also never thought of trying Lysol on indoor plants, great idea.

Thanks all.

Mary

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 3:10AM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

I experimented with powdered milk and it did not work. I experimented with powdered cream and it did work but make sure the powder is disolved or it will remain on the plant.

Lysol spray is very good as well.

Nancy

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 8:49AM
fred_hill(6)

Mary,
The best thing you can do for your plants would be to increase air circulation around them. I keep a ceiling fan running 24/7 and an oscilating fan running when the lights are on.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
Mini Violets!
Here's some baby miniatures that I absolutely love....
suyoder
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
Another newbie question
If the Rob's Combustible Pigeon has 3 sports and another...
frankielynnsie
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™