Patience? Schmatience!

m3rma1d(inside)March 29, 2008

Ok, so I broke a couple leaves off my Opt. Little Azurite whislt finally grooming the wiley hoards of suckers it had on it.

(Which I'd previously posted about here.)

I sent the suckers off in a swap, but tossed a coupla the leaves into my little cups and put them with all the other things in the "maternity ward" muffin package thingy..

That was March 16th.

Today I happened to look (Well, it's after 1am now, so technically "yesterday" but whatever), and there's babies! Not just any babies, but babies that look like they're about couple days old! So that'd be a whopping 10 days after putting the leaf down. (And even if I'm somehow wrong and these leaves were just sprouting yesterday, that's only 12 days so who cares)

Note the date on the cup! :-)

Disregard the date on the dime--just put it in there to show scale! :-)

I know people have reported getting babies even quicker than this, and yeah this (and those other examples) is kinda a freak occurance--But still, what a lovely treat for someone as impatient as I am (aren't we all sometimes haha!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bspofford

I'd say the blessings of the angels are upon you and your nursery!

Leaves I got from you on the 8th of February are just starting to show babies, and I thought that was fast. Little Cheyenne Girl is a poppin' all over!

Barbara

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 9:44AM
fred_hill(6)

ON the other hand, I have a leaf of Powwow down for over 6 months now and still a no show. Still waiting for it to show some signs of life.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 5:15PM
m3rma1d(inside)

"I'd say the blessings of the angels are upon you and your nursery!"

HAHA!! Barbara I hadn't even thought of it--but yer right, I bet it is them!! I wish they'd kick all my other leaves in the booty while they're at it, tho!

For anyone wondering what the heck we're talking about, I live in a 4th floor ap. where there's a BIG HUGE Catholic church down the street, and here's the view from the window where my violet stand is:

And here's a zoomed-in view:

So pretty... I'm not Catholic, but that is one pretty view no matter what--And I like to think Jesus & his angel pals (or whoever they are) are blessing my stand

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 5:41PM
haxuan(Vietnam)

That is certainly very fast! Congratulations!

Xuan

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 12:06AM
cindee11461(z9CA)

Hi,
Im new to this forum but not to growing AF's I just wondered what you used on your leaf before you planted it? Thanks!

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 12:29AM
fred_hill(6)

Hi Cindee,
It is recommended that you don't use anything on leaves when putting them d odwn for new growth. Rooting mediums tend to produce massive root networks and hinder the production of plantlets.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 4:31PM
donna_c

I need to put my leaves around the monitor to inspire them to get with the program like Opt. Little Azurite. I just finished potting up a baby (alas, an only child) from a leaf I started in Feb. 2007! Another 2/2007 leaf has a baby, but the others don't. Way to go m3rma1d!

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 5:49PM
m3rma1d(inside)

"Im new to this forum but not to growing AF's I just wondered what you used on your leaf before you planted it? Thanks!"

Cindee--I used nothing but a sharp blade to get a nice angled cut on the stem. (then put in my mix, moistened with plain ole tap water)

I'm with Fred regarding all those rooting hormones and stuff--I steer clear of all that when it comes to my leaves.

I don't want a cup full of roots, I want a cup full of babies! :-)

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 6:45PM
violetta1976(8 Portland OR)

That window shot is hysterical!

I put a bunch of leaves down last September, and most of them are just NOW showing baby leaves.

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 8:24PM
bspofford

Fred and Violetta....maybe you need to improve the view of your leaves.......maybe something with mountains or the beach.......

Barbara

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 12:33PM
bunnycat(z6 NY)

..or maybe a garden angel

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 1:07PM
m3rma1d(inside)

Hahaha wouldn't it be funny if A/V growers turned my window into one of those "Miracle Site" thingies, and people came from all around to rest their leaves on my stand for a blessing?

I wouldn't even charge admission.
(Well ok, maybe a "Suggested Donation" of a coupla miniature leaves.)

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 1:56PM
susan_kc(7b)

I have to ask...how is your shelf attached to that window and how did you do the reservoirs? That would open up all kinds of possibilities...

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 11:15AM
m3rma1d(inside)

"I have to ask...how is your shelf attached to that window and how did you do the reservoirs?"

The reservoir-thingies are little plastic trays.

The "shelf" attached to the window is a soap holder thingy with suction cups, purchased in the bathroom fixtures dept at most shops... I got the idea 'cos I liked the "Violets Do Windows" the Selective Gardener sells (minis with a self-watering reservoir that sticks to a window with a suction cup), but wasn't about to pay $30 for a set of 4 :-p

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 5:28PM
paul_(z5 MI)

m3rmald, happy looking bunch of plants. :)

So pretty... I'm not Catholic, but that is one pretty view no matter what--And I like to think Jesus & his angel pals (or whoever they are) are blessing my stand

The 'pal' on Jesus's right (left side of screen) looks like the Virgin Mary. Not sure about the one on the right side. Often it is Joseph but it could also be the church's patron saint or the angel Gabriel.

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 9:23AM

"The "shelf" attached to the window is a soap holder thingy with suction cups, purchased in the bathroom fixtures dept at most shops..."

PURE GENIUS.

(*runs out to go buy soap holder thingies*)

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 4:39PM
m3rma1d(inside)

Thanks, I thought it was pretty clever too :-D

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 10:23PM

Are you worried at all that they might fall?

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 6:18PM
m3rma1d(inside)

Well, hasn't so far & that one's been up since December... We'll see if there's any slippage when the temps go higher due to Spring/Summer, but I doubt it. :-)

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 7:45AM
aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)

I searched out this thread because I just ran across the "Violets Do Windows" pots on Optimara and didn't know if I had run across something new & exciting (I figured I hadn't, hence the search of "suction cups").

I like the idea of the shower thing as a stand - much cheaper than trying to find shelves that will perfectly hold my violets! Thanks!

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 2:35PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

AHM -

hubby pool table is cheaper - because it is already at home.

Anyway - I wouldn't do the suction cups contraption. If your soap box will drop in your bathroom - you will pick it up, smear with more soap and glue it back. A plant will break to pieces and you can only restart it from a leaf or hopefully there is some of the crown left to reroot. And suction cup will disconnect, the question is only when. It is plastic or resin = and these materials deteriorate from a sunlight.

I.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 3:31PM
Jshwartzer(Zone 5)

Hi All!
This thread is very funny, and I can identify! I love the church view and humor attached. I truly am impatient, and like the fact that some of you are, too! I also like the reminder that a watched pot takes longer to boil, etc. These plants will give babies when they are good and ready! LOL The combination of proper temperatures (warmth better than cold), planting the petioles not too deep, and not utilizing a container that is overly large (smaller is better) seem to all factor into the equation.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 5:42PM
aegis1000

The secret to AV patience is to have plants blooming while others are growing.

AV's will bloom for many months ... by the time blooming has died down, your new violets have matured and you'll have others ready to bloom.

Keep 'em cycling.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 6:21AM
More Discussions
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
Violet ID?
Hi Y'all! I was curious what these violets would be?...
suyoder
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
Brown leaves
Since this morning I noticed that multiple leaves of...
Hanieh M.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™