Searching for Vintage - Veronika

ingevald(5)March 31, 2010

Hello,

I am searching for a vintage violet called Veronika. It is an Optimara variety from the Rhapsodie series, 1974 (Patent number 3515). I have searched the web and am not finding it in any collections. If you know of someone who has it or if you have some more research ideas, I would appreciate the help. You can respond here or find my e-mail under my profile.

Thanks,

Ingevald

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fred_hill(6)

Hi Ingevald,
I checked Optimara.com here in the USA but it isn't listed. I suspect that it's a variety that was grown in Germany for European consumption. I also tried to find a conection to Holtkamp in Germany but to no avail. You might try emailing Opimara.com to see if they can give you a lead on the hybrid.
Sorry I conuldn't help.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 4:54PM
ingevald(5)

Fred -
Thanks for taking the time to answer. I had this variety in 1975 but lost it along the way. A note to Optimara sounds like the way to go.

Ingevald

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 11:59PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Ingevald -

i am quite sure that it is gone for good. Since you grew it - you remember how it looked like - and it is time to gove a chance to a new variety with similar features. I would say most of the plants are goners in 20 years.

Irina

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 7:44PM
ingevald(5)

Irina,
Thanks for your valid perspective on this topic. I do agree that it has likely vanished from cultivation. I imagine that most older varieties remain in existence if they had a special outstanding characteristic or were the winner of awards from that far back in time. I remember this one as dark blue (I could be off slightly due to a slight colorblindness issue), medium sized single flower. I have seen others that have similar characteristics and may choose one of them at some point in time.

Ingevald

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 8:16PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Ingevald -

you look at the Selectivegardener.com - and check on Optimara series. Margit - is the bluest. You can purchase leaves from them and have full house of blue blooming violets.

I do not grow Optimaras except Rhapsodie Cora. If I would be thinking about which blue I like the best - The King -it is double royal blue - it grows in a naturally perfect rosette, and the flowers are long lasting. The most stunning dark blue single star - is "African Night" - the plant is kind of floppy - and the leaves break easily - but the flowers are astonishing. But if you want a "workhorse" - good bloomer, not that picky - Optimara Barbara, or Margit, or Evelyn, or Rebecca- these will be just right.

Irina

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 8:29PM
fred_hill(6)

Irina,
FYI. I have been told that Max Maas preferred Frankie over the king.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 9:45PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Fred -

I am going to fly to NJ and ask you nicely for the leaves. You tempt me immensely.

I have Maas' Legacy, Memories, Janet. Sashah, Arbor Glen, Chris and The King. So far - Janet and The King are my favorites.

Irina

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 1:32PM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Ingevald,

When you write to Holtkamp, remember to ask also for Rhapsodie Veronica, R. Veronika. Most ladies names carried the prefix Rhapsodie.

Nancy

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 10:50AM
snappyguy

Veronika is a Rhapsodie series plant. Here's a link to the very limited info the Optimara site has about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhapsodie Veronika

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 12:45PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

I am sure that if they do not even remember what color it was - it is definitely gone.

Irina

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 2:44PM
angelw453(z5 MO)

I have the Russian AV named Veronika, which I purchased from the Ukraine, but the hybridizer is BOS (not sure who that is). Here is a link to the picture of blooms from the plant my leaves came from:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31279656&l=2dcdedd035&id=1367875345

Here is a link that might be useful: Veronika

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 9:04PM
angelw453(z5 MO)

I have the Russian AV named Veronika, which I purchased from the Ukraine. Here is a link to the picture of blooms from the plant my leaves came from:

Here is a link that might be useful: Veronika

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 5:25AM
juliebees2009(7)

oh my i looked for that same violet a few years back I was in high school when that violet was popular and mom had so many of them she wanted me to name my first born Veronica how i remember it, also it was the girls name on scoobie doo cartoon,
thank goodness i only had a son I would never heard the end of it I was so scared she was going to mention vernion for a boy whew....as time went on now she has passed I do wish I had took some of her AV pots and kept them but I just wasnt thinking when she died and they did to.
if you ever find Veronika please also let me know as I will you. i can remember all those rows on the window sill in the kitchen even now as I type this I am tearing up I need to go.
good luck.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
Mouse ears!
I am thrilled to see the " mouse ears" everyone...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
How can I get my AV's to bloom?
I started a few AV's from leaves. They are big enough...
zzackey
What is happening to my African Violet leaves?
The edges are getting pale and brown and drying up....
louder92
Why has this happened?
Why has this happened? I have a beautiful AV called...
tonibaumgard
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Sponsored Products
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Outdoor Oil Rubbed Bronze Wall Lantern with F
Home Depot
Geneva HiFi Sound System XS Bluetooth - Geneva Lab
$249.00 | HORNE
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 1-Light LED Outdoor Oil Rubbed Bronze Wall Light with
Home Depot
Casper Ghost Kids Chair in Clear
$59.00 | LexMod
Remer by Nameeks N30L Diverter Trim - REMER N30L
$202.00 | Hayneedle
Serena Fold-Up Wood Shower Seat
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™