Babies on petioles?

LindaMarch 12, 2013

Tonight while I was potting up some babies, I came across a leaf that had babies growing from the petiole as well as the cut end. They were growing all the way up to the point where the petiole and leaf come together. Although I know violets will propagate in several different ways, I have never experienced this one before. Has anyone ever had this experience?
Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Did see plantlets even all over leaf blade.
If they are good size - you remove them accurately - and they will root if covered.

irina

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 1:23PM
Linda

They were pretty tiny so I left them on the leaf and re-potted it. Pretty fascinating, though. I had never seen this before.

Thanks,
Linda

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 11:56PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Leaf - removed from the plant - usually is growing babies at the cut - so if you damage the surface of the leaf - like nick the veins - you can get babies at these wounds - but sometimes it goes banana and starts producing babies all over. Probably depends on the amount of growth hormone the leaf produces as a reaction to the cut trying to heal the cut. So your petiole could have a scratch on it that created a growth point.

I.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 2:14PM
Linda

It was interesting because I also noted that the petiole had split in two at some point while it was planted. (Also something I've never seen before.) There were babies along the split which didn't surprise me but the babies near the leaf looked like they were growing from a solid surface. So maybe there was a nick by the leaf that I didn't see. Sounds like an experiment opportunity!
Thanks,
Linda

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 3:02PM
Leafhead

I get the same effect c my Begonias. I'll have to start experimenting c my AV and see what happens...
Funny how two totally unrelated plants can possess such similar adaptations.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 3:14AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

I think it is an adaptation of fast growing humid tropical climate plants. They grow fast, the tissue is soft and juicy - and torn pieces root easily and produce new plants let's say after rain - flood - animal damage. It is not working in dry climate plants because any wound dries and small plantlets wouldn't survive.

I.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 5:43PM
Linda

Convergent evolution at work.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 12:27AM
More Discussions
Violet ID?
Hi Y'all! I was curious what these violets would be?...
suyoder
Nice vendor
Today I received an order from Fancy Bloomers in NJ. She,Donna,...
fortyseven_gw
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™