Sticktite

lilypad22(7)March 26, 2008

Could someone please, maybe someone who knows judging or shows plants, give me the specific definition of sticktite. I need this information for a violet club program. Thanks very much!

tish

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
itsdeb(6a)

I do not know judging rules but can tell you that sticktite refers to a non dropping flower. The flowers will stay on the plant until they wither or you physically remove them. Droppers do just that...the flowers drop off and fall after a few days. Some hold on longer than others. I think only the truly great droppers survive because it has to be special to put up with that dropping habit.

ItsDeb

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 11:04AM
lilypad22(7)

The droppers dry nice though. Make good pressed flowers.

There are more blooms that stay on violets than drop off (In my collection anyway, I only have 2 that drop off). So why describe them sticktite and just describe the droppers? A friend thought they stuck up in the air like a stick-pin and held the flowers up straight and did not droop downward.

tish

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 1:54PM
itsdeb(6a)

I know I've seen this information somewhere but I cannot find it now that I want to show it to you. It might have come from an article I read in an African Violet magazine. Anyhow, dropping of blooms is considered a pretty bad flaw in the violet world. I believe growers started using the word "sticktite" in their description to announce that the flowers on a variety do not drop.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 3:05PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Tish -

I found you a quote:

Sticktite: A term to describe a modern hybrid African violet with non-dropping blossoms. The original Saintpaulia found in the hills of the Usambara Mountains in Africa, have blossoms which easily fall off when shaken. Modern hybridization has removed this trait from many varieties.

It is from Optimara Glossary

I.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Nice vendor
Today I received an order from Fancy Bloomers in NJ. She,Donna,...
fortyseven_gw
little moon stone (images)
This AV plant is actually quite large. The flowers...
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™