Unruly Violet Leaves?

TinbleMarch 25, 2011

About a year ago, I rescued an African Violet which had been crawling painfully toward death for some time in the care of my mother. I repotted it, watered it regularly, and it recently rewarded me by producing the first blooms I have ever seen on it. The plant is healthy and flourishing, but there's just one problem.

New leaves have begun to grow everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Many of them are growing in sideways or upside down. I realize this is only a cosmetic issue probably, but their strange positioning is making an otherwise very tame plant look kind of....wacky, and making it difficult for them to push their way past the already existing, mature leaves. Is this normal? If so, is it possible to correct? Will they right themselves? Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xoxoxoxo

Hi Tinble,

To me, it sounds like your violet is growing multi crowns, which is normal for many violets.
These can either be removed by un potting the plant, and by the use of a xacto knife, or any good sharp knife, cutting out these little plantlets. They can also be pinched out as well, but by cutting them out, and potting them up, you will be expanding your collection.

By removing these little plantlets, your violet will not only flower better, the plant will keep a better shape.

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 11:57AM
m3rma1d(inside)

Here's a video I made showing how to separate these multiple crowns. Click here.

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 1:03PM
almax881(z8 - Louisiana)

Tinble,

I'm actually having the same problem as well. I have a violet that I saved from the deadpile at Lowes. As you can see from the pictures below, the plant definitely has multiple crowns. I'm going to seperate them soon, but I see a blossom. So, I am going to wait to see what the blossom looks like before trying to split it. (I'm a noob and it's still hard for me to recognize a sucker from the growth of a new leaf."

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 1:22AM
andrewofthelemon(7b Central Arkansas)

woot woot, sucker!
If you pot that up, and put in under a clear dome, or a ziplock, you will have a duplicate plant

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 11:37PM
Tinble

As fun as it is to propagate plants and increase the size of my collection, I really don't have the space or the means to take care of any more plants. :B

Is any leaf NOT growing directly from the crown of the plant essentially the beginning of a sucker? Because if that's the case, I'll catch them before they get out of control.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Violet ID?
Hi Y'all! I was curious what these violets would be?...
suyoder
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Trailing AV leaf problem
I've had this AV for about 1.5 year now and it was...
k3ping
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™