Stand and Plants

leealdriMarch 25, 2010

Hello, I have a room in my house that I would like to be my african violet room. It has one large window that faces the north. Will I need to get a lighted stand to put my violets on? Also, does anyone have a good place to buy a stand and can someone tell me some reputable places to purchase african violets from? I am wanting to do this as a hobby as I am disabled and think this would be a great way to spend my days. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minal(6)

Welcome to the world of African Violets!. I bought a stand from Walmart last year....it was a 5 shelf chrome stand for $59.99. I am assuming you can get similar priced stands at a local store or also at Lowes, Home Depot. You can buy violets from Ebay or also from Violet Barn (http://www.robsviolet.com - they have a great selection of violets and plants are also shipped well).
Hope this helps.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 12:18PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Lee -

if you want to make AV your hobby - and you never did it before - you need to try on a couple of inexpensive store bought violets perfecting your technique, reading books, getting supplies, repotting them in a lighter mix. You can grow the violets on the north window - they just do not bloom very well.

Even better if you research AV clubs in your area - and get yourself a mentor. People in AV clubs are the nicest of all and they will help you with starter plants and show how. Sometimes the members of the club are getting older and reducing their collections and selling stands with lights for a smaller price. Check AVSA.org Affiliates - and give it a try.

Good Luck

irina

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 1:48PM
snappyguy

My favorite place to buy AVs is BluebirdGreenhouse.com Great plants, great prices, and I've always gotten a free plant from them on each order. I currently have all my violets in a north window but also have a light over them.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 2:35PM
fred_hill(6)

Hi,
My favorite place to buy plants is at a local AV show. Check with AVSA to see if there is one in your area.
Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
sooo, what's new?
Got new plants? Trying something different? What's...
froeschli
Trailing AV leaf problem
I've had this AV for about 1.5 year now and it was...
k3ping
Rob's Humpty Doo
Recently found out this is chimera. First Class didn't...
lilypad22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™