AV Newbie Success :-)

moonwolf_gwMarch 25, 2013

Hi everyone,

I was watering my AV yesterday and noticed two flower buds/stalks appearing. This is a very welcome surprise to me, since I am a sort of AV newbie. I may take the plunge and buy another one lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Its always great to see buds beginning to pop up. They sometimes take a while to open, so be patient!

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:52PM
moonwolf_gw

I have plenty of patience since I also grow Hoyas and even when they bloom, the buds take a while to open on those as well. So I'm used to it. Lol

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:16PM
KiddyPlanter

Hi and congratulations Brad!=D I'm also a newbie, and my first buds took many days to open! Though it probably was due to the cooler temperatures in the winter....=P Anyways, I'm so happy for you cause I can imagine the thrill of getting it to bloom!=D Keep up the great work! And if you feel like, maybe you could share some pictures when they bloom too!XP

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 8:29PM
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Yes, pictures would be great. My hoyas have never bloomed !!

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 1:46PM
aviolet6(7)

Brad please email me about your hoyas. Lighting, fertizer, etc. Mine are slow growing and have yet to bloom. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 10:43PM
Leafhead

I love Hoyas too. I have two that haven't bloomed yet but are just waking up from their rest period. I hope to get some blooms this season:)
Hoyas are slow growing and don't grow at all during the cooler months. In the Spring, when they begin to grow, they like a weak water soluble fertilizer monthly or so.
Hoyas are epiphytic; they grow in trees. So they like a light, fast draining mix. They also like to dry between watering.
They like a bit of sun, best in the morning, c afternoon shade.
And finally, Never "dead-head" a Hoya; that "spur" that remains after the flowers fall off will rebloom.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 2:08PM
Linda

Another one hooked...;)

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:44PM
moonwolf_gw

Perle de Ore and aviolet6, there is a Hoya forum here on GW (hint hint), and very few of my Hoyas have bloomed for me. They are quite stingy with their blooms, but Hoyas like H. lacunosa (a good beginner Hoya) are quick to bloom than most other species. There are some great nurseries out there that sell them!

Leafhead gave some GREAT Hoya beginner's advice. The previously mentioned H. lacunosa drops the flower spur (called a peduncle) after blooming, which is unusual for Hoyas, but it and a few other species are known to do so.

I hope we helped! Good luck everyone and Happy Hoya and AV Growing!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 2:46AM
More Discussions
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
miniature and varigated african violets
Where can I buy miniature and variegated African violets...
miriamb60
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™