it has survived, so far

beth7happyMarch 10, 2013

...but without some help, I don't know how much longer this will live!! I've never raised African Violets. This particular one was a tiny plant when my sister handed it to me in a little plastic pot about a year and a half ago, as I was leaving her house. It went in my kitchen window...loved it there...it grew and grew and flowered. It got so big that I had to move it (the window space is very small). I repotted the plant and it gave another plant, as you can see. Now it dones't look as nice and does not flower. Should I separate these two and repot again? (it's been a long time). It's probably about 6' from a window that gets full sun (Florida sun!) for about an hour in the morning.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leafhead

How early in the morning does it get sun?
They love the first few rays of Dawn, but should never get any sun after 7:30AM.
Bright, indirect lighting is best.
Do you feed regularly?
You can separate that little one off and put it in your kitchen window

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 5:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda

It looks as though you have three separate plants that need divided and a pot that is very much too big for them. You also have necks that need attention. In addition, as a rule-of-thumb, violets need repotted every 6 months.

Divide your violet, retaining a crown for each plant. Lightly scrape the bare necks of the hard callused material there. (New roots will grow from this area). Plant in a pot that is one-third the size of the leaf span of your violet. (A six inch plant gets a two inch pot.) Your pots may be quite small; this is preferable as violets like to be a bit root-bound to flower. Most growers use a plastic pot and a soil mix of perlite, vermiculite and peat moss in equal measures. Do not use african violet mix potting soil as it is generally quite heavy. Think 'fluffy' for your soil.
I think your flowering problem come mainly from soil and pot issues.
Linda

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:27AM
More Discussions
miniature and varigated african violets
Where can I buy miniature and variegated African violets...
miriamb60
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Reducing a collection in size
Not saying I have to do this yet, however, what I would...
fortyseven_gw
Nice vendor
Today I received an order from Fancy Bloomers in NJ. She,Donna,...
fortyseven_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™