Miniature species?

paul_(z5 MI)March 4, 2013

Greetings all! Been a long time since I was last here.

A few questions for the "hive mind" ...
I'm interested in obtaining some species miniatures either as leaves or plants (the more mini the better) to use in my terraria. They would have to handle intermediate to warm growing conditions.With that in mind:
1) Which species would you recommend?
2) Which would I be best to avoid?
3) Which would be the best and most economical sources?

Plant trades would be my most prefered method -- though I currently have little in the way of av's, I have quite a plethora of other plants (orchids, cacti/succulents, etc).

Thanks for any aid.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Miniatures are harder for me. However, Rob's Kaleidescope, Precious Red, and Peppermint Girl seem to be very strong plants and doing well. I haven't grown any in a terrarium, but I have put some in their pots down in some glass bowls and covered them. Not in terrarium soil directly though.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 12:34PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Paul - look what they have on the Violet Gallery site.

IMHO - terrarium usually has 100% humidity - and Saintpaulias like it someway less - so you will have the problem with Powdery Mildew, Botrytis - mostly affecting blossoms.

I am thinking that there are other miniature gesneriads that will benefit from terrarium conditions - Episcia "Silver Sky" is a true mini - and variegated Episcias - even they are not minis - they are so slow growing and attractive - they will be a plus - Pink Smoke, Unpredictable Valley etc. Miniature Gesnerias - will be happy and continue blooming all the time with bright orange flowers - Gesneria cunefolia is very easy and it stays compact. Nautilocalyx pemphidius is small and very interesting with these bullate leaves. Violetbarn.com is a good source for terrariums - with mini gessies and other mini plants appropriate for terrarium.

Good Luck and send us some pics.

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: Violet Gallery

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 12:41PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Thanks for the tips folks though it appears there isn't much in the way of mini species as opposed to hybrids available then? Not terribly interested in hybrids currently.

Irina, I've had various Saintpaulia in terrs for years without any issues -- and they bloom just fine. Fact is, I have difficulty keeping AVs alive and happy UNLESS I grow them in terraria. (My orchids in contrast are sooo much easier than AVs for me.)

That said, my terrs rarely have 100% humidity ... it can actually be a lot harder to maintain that kind of RH than one might think. RH in my terrs tends to be around 60-70% much of the time.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 5:34PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Paul - did you look at the link at the Violet Gallery I posted - it is all about species.

Irina

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 5:37PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Yep. I sure did, Irina. Thank you for that.

However, based on that list, there aren't many mini AV species. I did find it interesting that two of them look very much like Rob's Blue Twinkle. I wonder which one (or if both) were used to make that hybrid?

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 11:32AM
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Sorry, Paul, I completely overlooked that you meant Species!

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 12:08PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Paul-

Which species do you think look the closest?

I doubt Rob used species for producing Rob's Twinkle Blue. It is a micromini - and I do not think there are micromini species. But you can call him during work hours and talk to him. they have phone listed.

irina

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 12:18PM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

There are no Species miniature AVs. Minis and semis were developed by hybridizers using species schumensis or magamensis with other plants. These developed into our hybrid miniatures and semi miniatures.

You could look for Saintpaulia schumensis or Saintpaulia Magamensis.

Our hybrid minis and semis also have trailer species in their bloodline which is the reason they make so many suckers.

Nancy

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 1:44PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

I grow S, shumensis and the shape of the leaves is different and color is too off if you compare is with a Twinkle.. I would say it is a mini or s-m in hybridizers nomenclature- depends how well you feed it.

I.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 4:02PM
paul_(z5 MI)

No species miniatures, Nancy? Bummer.

Irina, I think it was the Saintpaulia magungensis var. minima & S, shumensis -- but not seeing the entire plant I had not noticed the leaves.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
Copied from the Seed Exchange, explains reason for new Houzz format
The story none of us were told. kchd(7b/8a MS)February...
fortyseven_gw
What is happening to my African Violet leaves?
The edges are getting pale and brown and drying up....
louder92
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Mouse ears!
I am thrilled to see the " mouse ears" everyone...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Unknown and new order from pjs violets
Walking around local nursery for supplies and I couldn't...
loveofbostons
Sponsored Products
Big Wheel Bicycle Statuary
Grandin Road
Battery-operated Flameless Outdoor Candles - 3-1/4" dia. X 9"H
$24.95 | FRONTGATE
Shires Equestrian Mini Half Cheek Bit - 6297-3
$26.99 | Hayneedle
LumenArt | AWL.45 Wall Sconce
$110.00 | YLighting
Fortune Teller Wall Sconce by Global Views
$422.50 | Lumens
Newgate the boston black alarm clock (one left)
Origin Crafts
Progress Lighting Path & Landscape Light Parts Black Landscape Accessory
$21.06 | Home Depot
36 High Power SMD LED Puck Light Fixture
Super Bright LEDs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™