ID site?

oriole6(9b)March 17, 2012

Does anyone know of a site where you can type in the characteristics of an african violet (bloom color, bloom-type, leaf color, leaf-type, size of plant, etc) and it will give suggestions as to what hybrid it might be?

I went to a regular plant fair today and there were several vendors who had av.'s... they didn't specialize in them, but had a few off to the side. I'm always looking for semi's and they had them but the pots weren't marked. So I'd really like to know what I came home with!

~ Robin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snappyguy

Unfortunately, there really is no way of identifying a violet that came without a name. There are over 10000 varieties registered with AVSA, so many really are very much alike. Few, if any, are distinctive. If you know who the grower was you can contact them. Optimara produces many of the violets in the US and their site identifies their plants, but that's about the best that can be done. Enjoy your violet.

Mark

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 11:40PM
oriole6(9b)

Mark, thanks for your reply. Wow, that site's rather daunting! Too bad I'm not trying to identify reptiles or birds -- now, those sites make it easy! I've put photos of the 3 new av's in the Gallery in hopes that others will see them and know what they might be. Or at least have a foggy notion and will chime in.

~ Robin

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 1:18PM
eahamel(9a)

If you think identifying a violet is daunting, try orchids! One cross can have many different colors, shades of colors, and different shapes and sizes, but every one of them has the same name, like a family name, but each individual has its own clonal name.

One example from one of my orchids - here's the label:

Pot. Shin Shang Diamond 'Tai Young #1"

All of the crosses made with this plant's exact parents are Potinara Shin Shang Diamond. Potinara is the species name, in this case a man-made hybrid from two species. The name Shin Shang Diamond is the name that all from this cross have. The name 'Tai Young #1' is this particular plant. Trying to identify an individual plant if the tag is lost is virtually impossible!

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 7:15AM
donna_c

There is a computer program called First Class Version 2 that you can purchase from the African Violet Society of America. Below is a link to ordering information. It has a search feature where you can bring up a list of plants with specific characteristics. However, with over 17,000 entries, you might get dozens or hundreds of matches, so you really can't identify a no-name plant from it. So many plants look alike, with only subtle differences. The program is a good one to have, though. There are official AV descriptions, lots of gorgeous photos, and you can keep your own records on it, print labels, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: First Class Version 2

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 12:57PM
oriole6(9b)

Hi Donna, thanks for the link. It's now safely bookmarked in my Violets folder. I guess it just comes down to how much it bugs me that I don't know the name of 3 of my violets and if I can live with that. I'm thinking maybe I can at this point.... :0)

~ Robin

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
Rob's Humpty Doo
Recently found out this is chimera. First Class didn't...
lilypad22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™