where can i get wicks?????

zane101(6)March 3, 2008

i want to wick my a.v how do i do this and where do i get the wicks??????thank you

zane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fred_hill(6)

Hi Zane,
When I set up my plants on wicks, I use a 4ply worsted weight acryllic yarn for standard plants and split it into 2-2plies for minis and semis. I cut my wicks to about 10 inches, scrub it under water to remove any sizing and thread a wick through a hole in the bottom of the pot across the bottom and up the opposite side. I make sure the wick is wet so it will draw up the fertilized water in my pint reservoir. The lid of the reservoir has two holes. One near the center for the wick and one near the edge for filling the reservor. Many other people use nylon cord and some even cut up old pantyhose into thin strips to use for their wicks. Any man made fiber should work. Don't use cotton or any natural fiber which will rot.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   March 3, 2008 at 11:27PM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

You can also use panty hose. Just cut 1/2" strips starting with the toe of each leg. Stretch and cut. Be sure to dampen well before inserting into plant with barbeque skewer.

Nancy

Bookmark   March 3, 2008 at 11:36PM
zane101(6)

what kind of soil should i use....

Bookmark   March 4, 2008 at 8:00AM
m3rma1d(inside)

zane101,

Check out this great page on the Rachel's Reflections website about setting up for wick-watering. The first thing it addresses is soil :-)

Rachel passed away a month ago, but her site has helped countless people, and "behind the scenes", we are ensuring it will stay where it is to help countless MORE people in the future as well :-)

Bookmark   March 4, 2008 at 7:30PM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Wicking means constant water so you need a very light soil mix. If you are using the usual 1-1-1 peat, perlite, vermiculite, give the plant an extra part of perlite so the plant can dry out somewhat.

Nancy

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Does anyone recognize this AV?
I was given a leaf last summer, identified as Optimara...
sueok_gw
learning the NEW way
Just trying to find out how to post. Pembroke
pembroke
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Silverglade's Pennies or Chariots
Does anyone have a leaf or clone of Silverglade's Pennies...
littleblackbat
Top Dollar And Tommie Lou
I read that Top Dollar was one of the original 10,...
lucky123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™