propogation?

katy122April 28, 2010

I have a "noid" violet I would like to propagate....is it better to use the newer leaves or the leaves on the lower section of the plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_c

Here's a quote from the African Violet Society of Canada's website at http://www.avsc.ca/propagation.htm#Leaf: "To propagate the variety you have chosen you must take a leaf from the parent plant. Take the leaf from one of the middle ranks of leaves. Leaves from the outer row are too old and feeble to give you many plantlets. Those closer to the centre are too immature."

I've also found that the last row of leaves take much longer than younger leaves to produce babies and I'm still working on that patience thing : )

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 11:11AM
davemichigan(zone 6a (SE Michigan))

Exactly, something in between, but I would say leaning toward the younger side. The idea is (for AV propagation or cutting in general or tissue culture) if something is actively growing, the cells are multiplying faster so you would get better or faster result.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 11:55AM
katy122

Yahoo! I always love it when I learn something new...you guys always come through for me...thanks. Sue

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 12:54PM
shaggybirdman(z6NY)

leaves from the middle of the plant. check. i would have used the bottom leaves.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
miniature and varigated african violets
Where can I buy miniature and variegated African violets...
miriamb60
Reducing a collection in size
Not saying I have to do this yet, however, what I would...
fortyseven_gw
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Brown leaves
Since this morning I noticed that multiple leaves of...
Hanieh M.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™