repotting question

katy122April 3, 2009

Yesterday I bought 3 A V's, they are all loaded with flowers. I want to repot with the correct potting medium, should I wait until flowering is finished or can I go ahead and repot even though they are still in the flowering stage?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minimac(6 So In. Louisville Ky)

Hey Katy, don't go by me cause I'm new here. Soon the experts here will guide you as what to do. I've been re potting for the last two days and couldn't bare to cut off the blossoms. I just read the question Show plants by Sabrebuddy (Terri) and Fred Hill has a site (flickr)that I clicked on. It has some of his plants (beautiful), but what I noticed most was his drop dead gorgeous foliage. Reading on this forum they suggest you should dis bud, then the energy will go to the roots and leaves and this will develop a stronger plant. So, after I finish this post that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 4:33PM
frank325

I'd wait.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 4:41PM
fred_hill(6)

Hi Katy,
I always tell people who ask that question what are they going to do with the plant. If you intend to eventually show the plants, I would disbud them and let the plant grow larger. I have at times left one bloomstalk on the plant to keep reminding me what the plant is. If however you have no intention of showing them in the near future, let them bloom till your hearts content.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™