watering AV from bottom

newbienewApril 9, 2010

There is a one inch gap between the bottom of my plant container and my plant box (which has drainage holes).

Yesterday I filled this gap with water. Within half an hour the water had virtually disappeared. IÂm not using a wick so IÂm not sure how the water got up into the plant whose soil is now very moist.

Is it safe to leave water in that gap as long as itÂs not touching the bottom of the plant box or will that also lead to overwatering?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

As long as that left over water isn't soaking into the plant soil it's fine. They do NOT like wet feet!

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 4:23PM
fred_hill(6)

Hi Newbie,
I wouldn't leave the plant in the water for more than 10 minuutes. A lot depends on the mix you are using' If your mix is heavy with peat leaving it in the water could lead to root rot.
Fred in nj

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 9:25PM
keagle

I have my AV in a self watering AV pot for sometime now. all the lower leaves are yellow. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 9:49AM
nwgatreasures(7)

:::I have my AV in a self watering AV pot for sometime now. all the lower leaves are yellow. Any suggestions?::

Sure :)
- Pull the root ball/plant up from the pot, remove those yellow leaves and any that need removing.
- Get a pot that is 1/3 the width of the width of the plant that you have remaining AFTER you remove those rings of leaves.
- get some soil that is 1 part peat moss, vermiculite, perlite and put the plant in the new pot and new soil.

Should get some GREAT results.

I'm not a fan of the self watering AV pots. They are a grand marketing concept and the pots are beautiful but they don't support a growing environment where AVs thrive (IMO).
I have helped others transplant into plastic 3 inch pots that we sat down inside of the self watering inner bowl just for the visual.

Good Luck,
Dora

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 12:24PM
keagle

Thanks Dora. I will give it a try.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
Photographing AV's Question
This AV is a very dark shade of purple in real life...
lucky123
little moon stone (images)
This AV plant is actually quite large. The flowers...
jujujojo_gw
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™