rooting violet leaves

parr(4)April 18, 2012

I went to the post office today to find out how priority mail works so I can mail out some leaves. I and the mail lady were talking about how her Grandmother started leaves. She put them in a empty egg shell that still had the skin on the inside with a little dirt and started them that way She also said that her Grandmother would only take leaves from a nonblooming plant. anyone else ever here about these methods ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

1. It will work. Probably will stink a bit.

2. The leaves from a non-blooming plant will root. The leaves from a blooming plant will root too.

I would say that this lady developed some methods that worked for her - she probably used dirt from the garden and didn't have access to modern fertilizers with microlelements - so her approach was good in her conditions and didn't do any harm. With more intense methods - when we keep the plants under the lights, use wicks, soilless mix, constant fertilizing - they bloom all the time - so waiting for them to stop blooming and use egg shells for the fertilizer that comes from the residual organic matter on the insides of the shells seems a bit too much.

I.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 1:22PM
philpet

Don't know if it would work but that must have look very cute like a little sail boat. :)

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 12:38PM
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

That's very interesting. I haven't heard of that, but I have heard of putting eggshells in the water you use for them.

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 8:02PM
Linda

The calcium from the shell supposedly leaches into the water.
Some growers use eggshell in their soil mixes.

Linda

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:28AM
More Discussions
miniature and varigated african violets
Where can I buy miniature and variegated African violets...
miriamb60
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
Brown leaves
Since this morning I noticed that multiple leaves of...
Hanieh M.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™