Immature mature seed pods?

Greg(z8, San Antonio)April 17, 2011

Hi everyone! I have read that african violet seed pods take 3-6 months to mature. I successfully cross pollinated Firebird (strain I?) with both Hiroshige and Geneva Wonder. The seed pods developed, but after just two months, the stems of both shriveled, etc. Normally, I would think that this meant that they were mature, but can two months "do it", or did they just shrivel prematurely? I guess the only way to find out is to plant the seeds and see if anything happens. But if anyone has experience with this type of thing, it would be great to hear from you. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_c

According to the link below, pods that dry in less than 4 months are unlikely to have fertile seed. Unlikely, but not impossible! Another site lists 3 months maturing time. I recently had a pod dry after 1 1/2 months and planted the seeds anyway. Nothing sprouted. Howeever, you really don't have much to lose by planting the seeds, so go for it. Someone else here might be able to tell us how to determine under a loop or microscope whether a seed is viable or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeff Smith's Notes on Hybridizing

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 3:51PM
Greg(z8, San Antonio)

Thanks for your very helpful response, donna c. That linked page is very informative, too. I think I will go ahead and get some sowing medium prepared, open up one of the seed pods to see if the seeds are shiny and black or brown (i.e. viable or non-viable according to that link), and take things from there. Thanks again!

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 4:59PM
almax881

Hello Stross,

I'd be interested to see how your seeds turned out. I'm in the same situation: my seed pods dried after two months. I'm just going to try to sow them anyway.

Please email me directly from my email address found in my profile. I'm in Louisiana (north) like you. I'd be cool to know another amateur hybridizer.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
backyard greenhouse advice welcome
Hello All, Does anyone have knowledge of backyard greenhouses?...
fortyseven_gw
Optimara Rita
Looking for Optimara Rita AV leaves. Would love to...
carolyn18810
When will the leaf cuttings send out new growth?
I potted up 4 leafs in 4 small pots. Actually they...
tlbean2004
Worm castings
Has anyone actually used these? A year or more ago,...
fortyseven_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™