found some nice small pots

cateyanne(zone 5/6 Northern Ohio)April 28, 2013

I have been searching for a smaller version of the "indirect watering" pots that I had a couple of AV's planted in. Mine, though advertised as made for AV's are larger that what is recommended for the violets I have and wouldn't be usable until the plants get much larger, which would be years? So, it was a difficult thing to find as almost all in stores were not made for my 3 year olds and certainly not for any of the new ones I wanted to buy. Now I am happy I have found a pot source for my new AV"s, I wondered what I can plant in the old pots. Some houseplant that would benefit from indirect watering, but wouldn't grow so large so fast that I'd have to re- pot so soon. I realize this might be a different forum. but I couldn't find a house plant one.Thought I'd get lucky with a knowledgeable person here. Any ideas? My house gets low light typically, and I like to reserve my sunny spots for my AV's!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

IMHO if you want to grow AV in the self watering pots - OYAMA pots are the best. (Ceramics are the most challenging).

If you have these heavy double ceramics - you plant anything but low water requirement plants there. Cacti will not flourish there. The main thing - add extra perlite to the soil - to make it lighter - and adjust your water slowly - after repotting - keep watering from the top until the plant establishes - and then try filling the bottom pot with water starting with a small amount of water. Do not refill the pot until the soil in the pot is on a dry side. Most of the plants do not want to be waterlogged all the time, they need some dry time.

Good Luck

Irina

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Unknown and new order from pjs violets
Walking around local nursery for supplies and I couldn't...
loveofbostons
Picasso african violet leaf, leaves
I desperately wish to grow the PICASSO african violettes....
zuhalzeren
Propagate and Sell Registered AVs?
I am getting into propagating and growing AVs and was...
mojosavage
African Violets -New to this, need ideas on plants selections!
I recently placed a few orders with PJ's Violets. I...
Marigold33
What is happening to my African Violet leaves?
The edges are getting pale and brown and drying up....
louder92
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™