African violets outdoors?

claudosu(z7 OK)April 8, 2005

Hi, I was just wondering if I put my African violet outside during the summer. I was thinking of putting it in my back porch which, though on the south side, is shaded by various trees and covered by a roof, but I'm wondering if it'll be too hot for it. In Oklahoma temperatures are normally in the 90's during the summer with heat indeces normally in the upper 90's and 100's. And 100 plus degrees are common during July and August.

Would the violet just fry in the heat, or will the shady conditions be enough to keep it cool while providing enough diffused light to keep it happy and blooming?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LadyBrasa(z7 VA)

My guess is it wouldn't like it. Plus violets need lots of humidity.
-Rebecca

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 4:15PM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

I believe the 100 degree temperature would not be good for it even if it is located in the shade.

But the most important aspect to think about is bugs--especially thrips which are abundant outside. Thrips carry many diseases and virus and will manage to eat your little plant to pieces. When you bring the plant back inside you could be bringing in some hitchhikers as well.

I'd say, "Thumbs down!" on the idea.

Nancy

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 4:17PM
mainesfwriter(z5 ME)

The bugs are a HUGE issue. I lost a dozen beautiful AVs last fall when I thoughtlessly placed a "brought in from outside" plant near their table. It carried mites in with it, and before I realized the AVs were so infested that all I could do was throw them out.

Bookmark   April 9, 2005 at 9:23AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

AVs don't fare well outside at all. In particular, rain water (being usually colder) does horrid things to the leaves, slugs love the leaves, etc.

Bookmark   April 9, 2005 at 12:50PM
adl123(7B / 8A)

It'd be interesting to take a few $1.97 noids and try them outside. I'd consider them strictly annuals and plan NOT to ever bring them inside.

Donna

Bookmark   April 13, 2005 at 7:50AM
claudosu(z7 OK)

Thanks for everyone's opinion, I guess I'll just leave the AV's indoors. Besides, I need the color in my bedroom from the blooms. :-)

Bookmark   April 13, 2005 at 3:30PM
cometgirl_2006

Hi:

I may be in for some trouble. I have shelves outside on my front porch with AVs and I switch them inside and out. So far no trouble but I will have to wait and see. This winter I will bring them in so as not to freeze them to death. But it also gets hot here in Florida!

Thank You

Bookmark   October 22, 2006 at 6:50AM
shiver

Just my experience: a few summers ago we had an especially hot spell here in MN. It was 100+ degrees for several weeks with very high humidity, and I had my air conditioner set on 85 degrees to save money. I put extra fans on my AVs to help with air circulation, but to no avail. I lost the ENTIRE collection. The poor things melted into a gray pile. I am very careful to move my current AVs to the basement in the summer now, and haven't had any trouble since. I'd say it doesn't get higher than about 78 degrees down there.

Bookmark   October 22, 2006 at 1:16PM
newspaperlady

Would putting them outside here in Canada summer months kill them??

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 3:01PM
Linda

News,

Again, the main concern is the unwanted creatures that will make themselves at home on your violets. Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a 'houseplant', all plants originate outside. So if your area of Canada can emulate Tanzania and Kenya, the native home of the violet, your plants should survive. But, they will be buggy.

Linda

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 3:50PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Aha - reviving a very old thread...

Newspaperlady - it is not a good option - your plant won't be happy - the conditions are harsh - and it will be crawling with bugs who will love this African delicacy.

BUt - if you have a spare plant that you can use - you can put it outside in a dappled shade - and see how it goes. But remember - you are not going to bring it back, the season is over - and it should be left to freeze. It will be covered with all kind of pesties you do not want to bring home.

Good Luck

Irina

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Violet ID?
Hi Y'all! I was curious what these violets would be?...
suyoder
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™