Lines on inside of outer Oyama pot.

zwaantjeApril 25, 2009

When I received the Oyama pots I want to start using there was a drawn schedule, like the one shown on an av website. However, I lost that schedule but I seem to remember that the information I'm asking for here wasn't there to begin with.

Ok, here's my problem.

Filling the inside with Perlite and soil, that I get. But the water well has 3 different lines with no visible explanation which line is for what. So there's my question: which line to use when I fill the outer pot of the Oyama pot for my AV's? There must be a reason for those line, but I just can't figure it out!

Thank you in advance!

Milli.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fred_hill(6)

Hi Milli.
I checked my latest copy of "Growing To Show" and according to that the lines serve as a gauge for the water level. In a 4" and 5" Oyama pot if you fill it to line one or two it will not need water again for 5 to 6 days. If you are using the 6" Oyama and fill it to line one or two that should last for 6 to 7 days. Of course a lot of this edpends on your growing conditions and on the type of Oyama it could last longer.
Hope this helps,
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 10:35AM
zwaantje

Aha! That makes perfect sense, thank you very much! I noticed that filling up those outer pots to the top line makes the soil too wet but larger plants probably need more water. Thank you again!

Regards,
Milli

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 1:50PM
lilypad22(7)

Some of my plants I fill to a higher line, some of them to a lower line. Also depends on how pot bound the plant is, more roots need more water more often. When I go on vacation, I fill them up to the top line but then I'm not going to water again for 1 1/2 to 2 weeks and then I'll go back to the regular watering. If you use a lower line and your soil is still staying too wet, add more perlite to your soil mix, that should help. My plants really love these pots, but I have too many plants to put them all in them. tish

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
Red tint and leaves drooping
After moving my AV to a brighter window the leaves...
loveofbostons
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™