What's wrong with AV?

jwwcApril 15, 2010

The leaves of my african violet started turning yellowy and I read that that could indicate not enough light, so I've been placing it in on the west-facing window sill, but it seems to have gotten worse, so I've placed it back on the table. It's sort of sprouting weird baby leaves, have dry spots on some leaves, whilst others are yellow. And the flowers are drying up after only blooming for a short time. What's wrong with it? Is it in need of fertilizer, since I haven't really fertilized it? Does it need a bigger pot?

Thanks,

Jenn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_c

Pale leaves can be caused by lack of sunlight, lack of fertilizer, or a pH imbalance in the potting soil (see http://www.optimara.com/doctoroptimara/10121-10304/10131.html for more info). Since you've ruled out lack of light, I recommend you repot and fertilize the plant.

It should actually go into a smaller pot, one that's about 1/3 of the plant's diameter. A good potting mix for African Violets has about 1/3 each of peat, perlite, and vermiculite. Even if you buy African Violet potting soil in the store, add some perlite and vermiculite to it. When repotting remove the flowers, pale leaves, and the ones with brown spots. The brown spots may have been caused by sunlight hitting water drops and burning the leaves. Those leaves will never look like new again.

Remove the weird baby leaves too - they are suckers that you can root and grow into new plants! Here's a site with pictures and info on suckers: http://www.creativespill.com/RR/.

The growing center of your plant looks good, so with a little TLC your African Violet should really respond and take off growing. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 8:04PM
nwgatreasures(7)

I agree with Donna.
Remove those suckers (weird looking plants growing off of main plant) and remove the blooms.

Repot into smaller pot with recommended soil recipe and fertilize.
When you repot, gently coax off as much of the older soil as you can.
Keep us posted.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 11:52AM
jwwc

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to go buy some materials for the transplant when I have the chance (no car), Hopefully soon though, since It's looking pretty sad right now.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 2:58PM
verac(9)

Well, inspite of the problems, I have to say it has a beautiful flower.:0)

Vera/Ca

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 3:52PM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Mine look similar when they have received too much light. You have a sheer curtain in front of the window but it is a west window. A west window is great for me in Canada, but may not be good for you in your zone. Pull the plant forward about 6 inches and see if there is any improvement.

Also you might try Epsom Salts 1 tablespoon to a gallon warm water for greening up plants.

That yellow spot is sunburn.

Nancy

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 5:35AM
More Discussions
African Violets/Yellow
Can someone please suggest a good and easy yellow or...
Marigold33
Too much light?
I thought that my miniature AV was doing OK with a...
Larry Mayer
Beautiful Optimara Modesty blooming pictures - Oh, so beautiful!
O Modesty is so vigorous. It needed no extra care for...
jujujojo_gw
Mouse ears!
I am thrilled to see the " mouse ears" everyone...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Advice for Newbies
In reading through this African Violet forum, I see...
Linda
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™