AVs outdoors

missschultzApril 11, 2013

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried growing AVs outside. I have one of those mini greenhouses and have run out of room indoors so wondering if I could grow them in the greenhouse. What are your experiences? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vadis

I had no trouble after I learned to control temperature and shading. My greenhouse was a 10x12 here in WV.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 11:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mooseblossoms

There are a lot of bugs outside that would love to sink their teeth into your lovely plants! I won't even open the windows in my violet room for fear of bugs! It gets a little hot and steamy in there in summertime!

Mites and mealies are horrible things- hard to get rid of. Thrips are even scarier because they can transmit viruses from plant to plant, and potentially infect your entire collection. Even if I manage to bring an infected plant into the house, as long as I don't have thrips and clean my tools religiously after each plant grooming, the virus won't run rampant.

If I were to put some outside, I would choose NOIDs, duplicates or ones that just aren't special to me. I wouldn't ever be able to bring them back inside in case they picked up something out there.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
Brown leaves
Since this morning I noticed that multiple leaves of...
Hanieh M.
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
Mini Violets!
Here's some baby miniatures that I absolutely love....
suyoder
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™