My cat destroyed my African Violet. Is there hope?

imaginaeApril 9, 2011

I've had this wonderful African Violet for years. It's never failed to bloom for me every few months and has always been vibrant and easy to take care of. However, I recently moved across the country, and despite my best efforts, the poor thing lost most of it's leaves. So I put it in a safe place by a window and hoped that it would grow.

Well it didn't die, but it didn't grow any new leaves either. I've been waiting and waiting for it to regrow, but I came home today and found that my room mate's cat had torn off all of it's remaining leaves. I am very very sad.

So do any of you know if it's possible to revive an African Violet that has lost all of it's leaves? Is there hope? Or should I just give up on it?

Thank You.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thominindy(6)

Hello imaginae

I'm not the best person to help you, but most people on this forum are not very active on the weekends so I will try to help for now. As long as there is life in the center crown you can save your plant. If the cat did not eat it down to the neck you should have some life left. I have rescued violets from the box stores that were broken, smashed, and dying, never lost one. So keep your plant from the cat and tomorrow you will get some appropriate help

You only have one violet? You need more violets.

Thom

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 11:13AM
almax881

Hello Imaginae,

Like Thom, I'm no expert on these things, but I've had some success with saving dying plants from my local box stores. If you have no leaves at all, I think you're going to have a hard to saving the plant since there is nothing to trigger the photosynthesis.

I totally recommend you try to save it though, if for no other reason than the challenge of it. I would place the plant under fluorescent light, make sure it's in appropriate moistened soil, and place a ziplock baggie over it to maintain moisture. If nothing happens after a month, then the plant probably isn't going to make it.

Do you know what type it was? Perhaps you could obtain a leaf to start over.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 2:47PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Excellent Advice. If the stem is alive and well - it will send a new growth - especially under the baggie. Just be sure that the soil is barely moist, not wet.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 7:04PM
fred_hill(6)

Hi,
You might try putting it into a plastic baggie to retain some of the moisture in it, Just don't put the baggie in the sun or it will cook the plant. Are there any leaves left at all?
If so you could put one down in some potting mix and restart it that way.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 7:56PM
CatherineLittle(7)

I hope your African Violet came back!

I just put my first and only AV on a window and I am praying my cats stay away during the middle of the night!

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 12:57AM
nyxx(z7 Virginia)

Does anyone happen to know how this plant turned out? Did it survive or was it lost? Just curious

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Copied from the Seed Exchange, explains reason for new Houzz format
The story none of us were told. kchd(7b/8a MS)February...
fortyseven_gw
Worm castings
Has anyone actually used these? A year or more ago,...
fortyseven_gw
African Violets/Yellow
Can someone please suggest a good and easy yellow or...
Marigold33
Optimare Violets changed their flowers ... just to be balanced.
#1 This Optimara was pink with tiny purple dots near...
jujujojo_gw
Help! Limp brown stems of leaves
One of my new babies has been too wet and I read that...
frankielynnsie
Sponsored Products
Foscarini | Yoko Table Lamp
$584.00 | YLighting
Gizaun Art Prime Time Inside/Outside Full Color Cedar Wall Art - PT1624
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Turn me loose wool throw - violet
Origin Crafts
Silver Lamp: Duran 17.75 in. Violet Silver LED Table Lamp CLI-SW68310130
Home Depot
African Violet Ovo Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus