Bubbling of leaves

missschultzApril 8, 2013

Hi, wondering if any knows what could be the cause of the bubbling leaves, the torn edges. This plant was propagated from a leaf and this is where it has stopped growing. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mooseblossoms

The crispy, curled leaves could be the result of over-fertilization. I accidently put too much fertilizer in a gallon of water that I used to water my violets and I ended up with a few plants that looked like that. It even killed the crowns of some.

If you think this could be the case, then flush the soil with plain water or repot it in fresh soil. This is to get rid of any fertilizer salt build-up. I would also remove the outer row of leaves and maybe even the really bulbous one on top right. I know there won't be many leaves left, but it's not worth it for the plant to expend energy to those sick leaves. It may take awhile for this one to bounce back.

Mites are another possible cause if you don't think over-fertilization could have happened. But they usually cause more damage in the crown than I see there.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 12:39AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Hear-hear! Good advice from MB!

We hope you do not have broad mites. Time will show.

Use MB advice - flush the soil until it the water runs clear, put it on a stack of newspapers to dry it a bit, remove the bottom damaged leaves - and put it in a transparent box - or under the dome to give it extra humidity for a couple of weeks.

Besides the mites - there are these culture issues that make leaves hug the pot:

high light. Direct sunlight - or if you grow under fluorescents - too close to the tubes - or wrong tubes - T5 is way too high.

Too dry. The humidity should be 40-50%, not 5%.

And MB suggestion - could be wrong soil, too much fertlizer, PH is way off, wrong fertilizer.

Good Luck

irina

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 1:32PM
missschultz

Thanks to both of you for the info. I'm desperately hoping its not mites, but one of the other issues Irina mentioned. Due to lack of space, I have been keeping this outside on a table that is mostly shaded inside a fish tank with a clear lid, so it may be too much light, or too much humidity. I've only fed it once and it was like that before. Curiously, none of the other AV's that are kept with this one have the same issue. I've since brought it inside and flushed it as per mooseblossoms instructions, so hopefully it survives. Thanks again.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 7:07AM
taxonomist3

This isn't just a bustling variety?

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 10:54AM
missschultz

I wish! On closer inspection, there's little white critters in the soil so irina and mooseblossom were correct :(

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 8:30PM
taxonomist3

Bugger! Did you toss or are you treating with Marathon?

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 8:47AM
missschultz

Well, to be honest, I'm a bit of a guerrilla gardener. I sprayed the soil with regular insect spray. So far so good. Haven't seen any critters today. We'll see how we go. Better than tossing them. :)

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 9:06AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Aha - little white critters - if you google soil mealy bugs - check if it is itthat will explain the condition of your plant. They really suppress the growth and well being of an AV.

You can get them by drenching - not spraying - but you need to do it 3 times week apart -to nail the young hatchlings.

I would just start the plant from a leaf or a crown - and toss the rootball.

Irina

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Too much light?
I thought that my miniature AV was doing OK with a...
Larry Mayer
Beautiful Optimara Modesty blooming pictures - Oh, so beautiful!
O Modesty is so vigorous. It needed no extra care for...
jujujojo_gw
Optimare Violets changed their flowers ... just to be balanced.
#1 This Optimara was pink with tiny purple dots near...
jujujojo_gw
African Violets -New to this, need ideas on plants selections!
I recently placed a few orders with PJ's Violets. I...
Marigold33
spreading your wings to other AV groups
Here is a link.There are also other groups as well. http://z15.invisionfree.com/Violet_Reflections/index.php?act=idx...
fortyseven_gw
Sponsored Products
Sierra Down Pendant by Bruck Lighting Systems
$336.80 | Lumens
Domi Chrome Two-Light Square Canopy Bath Fixture with Pearl Glass
$405.00 | Bellacor
Nature 6650 Multi Lodge Runner (2'7 x 7'3)
Overstock.com
Jubilee Bouquet
$649.00 | FRONTGATE
Hinkley Daphne 40" Wide Brushed Bronze Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus
Roman Leopard Rug 6' x 9' - BROWN
$899.00 | Horchow
Original Grill Daddy Steam Brush - GB91061
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Indoor Area Rug: Transitional Blue Rectangle 7' 9" X 9' 9" Plush
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™