Browning on edge of leaves

LindaMay 15, 2013

This is a new one for me-I have a chimera whose leaves are browning. This started with the crown leaves, browning at the edges, not soggy brown, more of a crispy brown. The brown eventually overtakes the entire leaf. I removed the entire crown of leaves but the browning is making its way down through the rest of the plant. Any ideas? I can post a photo if need be.
Thanks,
Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Linda - I had one like this - and I rerooted the crown and got rid of the roots. soil, what not. If the rooted crown will repeat the pattern - chuck it.

The gut feeling is that something wrong with the soil. Too dense, too wet, too acid... something like this. If you purchase soil - sometimes it is a bad batch...

I.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 12:51PM
Linda

Irina,

The crown is gone because the leaf browning started there. As I removed the affected leaves it eventually left the crown area bare. It's very odd; leaves seem to be affected in order. It started with the smallest and is progressing through with the next smallest and so on, almost in a circular pattern around the plant. It's a chimera so I was hoping it would sucker so I could save one but I don't think it will last long enough to do so.
I mix my own soil, the standard 1:1:1 and everything is potted in this so it's a mystery. Of course, they're all individuals so this one may have a problem with the soil, it's just something I've never seen before.
I am growing in a new house with conditions that are totally different from what I had before so I am seeing things I've never dealt with.
Just a thought: do you think it could have any thing to do with temperature? Cold to warm?

Linda

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 3:16PM
Linda

Here is a picture of the plant. I am wondering if it is a root problem. The pot looks a bit big and I know it wasn't when I re-potted it. I am thinking the older leaves have died off without the plant growing to balance that. Any thoughts, anyone?
Linda

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 9:10PM
ultra_violet

I haven't seen this phenomenon in my plants, but the Dr. Optimara tool suggests that crown necrosis could be a sign of either crown rot or copper deficiency.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown Darkens: Possible Causes

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 10:05AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

I would trim off the top of the crown severely, probably repot it in a fresh soil and wait for the suckers. It is a new house - can be water - chloramine? - can be the movers dropped it head down?

I.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 12:28PM
Linda

Well, now I've got another violet that is doing this. Both are variegated; I wonder if that's a clue. I don't think it's crown rot; I've been down that road before and this looks very different. And I've checked: there is no chloramine in my water. Any ideas?

Linda

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 10:38PM
terrilou

Just a thought. . . could this be INSV? I understand the virus takes many forms & warm temps can spur its development. Its probably worth a bit of research if only to rule it out.

Terri

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 10:17AM
Linda

Terri,

I have researched the virus on-line and none of the pictures looks like this. I have a feeling it's a soil/water/fertilizer problem. I just can't pin it down any closer than that. Frustrating.

Linda

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 12:07AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Hopefully it will give you suckers.
I.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
When will the leaf cuttings send out new growth?
I potted up 4 leafs in 4 small pots. Actually they...
tlbean2004
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
No ID optimara blooming!
ok - i know i asked this before.... but i thought i...
shihtzu4su
fancy bloomers order?
ok so i got a tracking # at 4:30 on tuesday evening......
shihtzu4su
African Violets -New to this, need ideas on plants selections!
I recently placed a few orders with PJ's Violets. I...
Marigold33
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™