My first repotting - when are they safe?

tamisue_2009May 2, 2009

OK, I repotted all my AV that I ordered from Rob's earlier this year. Thier potted dates were all 8-12 months old. I used Rob's wicking mix and Oyama pots. Some had small root growth and most soil fell off the roots. I put them right back into same size (Oyama) pot. Some with better/larger root volume went into next size larger. I added B1 vitamin to water, all I had for vitamins. Then I bagged everyone! OH! One AV when arrived had a somewhat long neck, about 1 1/4" so that one I had to cut down as shown in my "Growing to show" book. Again, I then bagged everyone just to be safe. That was Monday, today is Saturday and NOT ONE droopy leaf! So, when should it be safe to take the bags off, that they will no longer go into shock? These are all standard AV. NOW I'm ready for the little guys and trailers!

Tamisue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nwgatreasures(7)

I like to bag mine until I see 3 or 4 new mouse ears - no matter how long that takes or what size the original plant is ...usually 3 to 4 weeks.

Dora

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 12:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missjennie

I rescued a NoID for a fellow teacher a couple of weeks ago. Her plant had root rot to the point that when I unpotted it, every thing fell off and I was left with a neck. I repotted the neck (after taking off limp leaves and scraping it), bagged it and kept it a few days before returning it to her. It too, never went limp after being bagged, and she unbagged it after only five days. The plant has not had any problems. However, I prefer to keep mine bagged until I start seeing new growth, usually around a month.

Jennie

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
miniature and varigated african violets
Where can I buy miniature and variegated African violets...
miriamb60
Mini Violets!
Here's some baby miniatures that I absolutely love....
suyoder
Trailing AV leaf problem
I've had this AV for about 1.5 year now and it was...
k3ping
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™