Thrips

thominindy(6)May 6, 2011

I just received an order from one of our well known hybridizers. The two starters are full of blooms and thrips. They are in isolation in another part of the house. I intend to repot and treat with avid for three weeks.

My question is my leaves which are in an enclosed humidity tray, but on a shelf with my prime collection. The will probably remain closed for three months until babies are present. Do I need to worry about the leaves?

Thank You, Thom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

I would spray them at least once. You will have your AVID solution anyway. Hope you removed all the flowers and buds from the new arrivals ASAP. Thrips - fly - and spread from one part of the house to another without any problems. This way you at least got rid of the flyers.
They are very adaptable - and even they prefer flowers, the do good on young leaves as well.

I am preparing for the Major Spray on Sunday. I just threw away a couple of violets with tight centers last night.
Need to charge my 4 gallon battery sprayer and find my last drops of Pylon.

Irina

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 1:07PM
thominindy(6)

Thank you Irina. Yes, I have removed buds and treated all plants that were in isolation I will spray the leaves. I learned the hard way about thrips last year. I take every precaution now.

Thom

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 1:28PM
GrowHappy(z7 MD)

Thom, I do hope you will tell the vendor that the plants had thrips.

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 8:03PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

I would think that the vendor already knows. It is not that they are hiding. You cannot keep them from reinfecting your collection especially in summer - but you sure need to knock them down every time.

Irina

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Too much light?
I thought that my miniature AV was doing OK with a...
Larry Mayer
African Violets -New to this, need ideas on plants selections!
I recently placed a few orders with PJ's Violets. I...
Marigold33
Looking for the post that had using CFL?
I thought it was in this section maybe it wasn't but...
loveofbostons
Why has this happened?
Why has this happened? I have a beautiful AV called...
tonibaumgard
What is happening to my African Violet leaves?
The edges are getting pale and brown and drying up....
louder92
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™