Odd growth

tommysmommy(Colorado)May 12, 2010

Hi all, jumping over from another forum with a question about my african violets. Both are variegated leaved variety (used to be one plant and I split them up). They're growing like gangbusters in a north window, but recently the central leaves are whiter than greener, and rather stiff and hard. I haven't done anything different, could it be a disease?

Thanks for any advice,

Diane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Diane - my guess they are cold. Just this time of the year when you stop your furnace (not today, no-no). Usually the cooler it is - more white the variegated leaves become. It will warm up - and they will get greener. You can as well give them a fish emulsion drink.

I do not know what stiff and hard means. Keep an eye on them, may be it will resolve on its own when the weather will warm up. You can always increase the humidity by covering your plant with a plastic dome (angel cake top for example) and see how it goes - it is like a spa treatment. Could be low humidity, could be to0 much light.

Good Luck and keep us posted

Irina

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 7:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fred_hill(6)

Hi,
I don't think that it is a problem with too much light. North windows don't give you that much unless you are below the equator. More likely than not I suspect that the plant is cold as Irina said. Try moving it to a warmer area with a western exposure and give it a shot of fish emulsion.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Mini Wick Pot Solution Found!
My hubby actually came up with this one -- he's like...
oriole6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™