Leaves turning white

irishmaineiacMay 25, 2009

I have an plant that is from the seeds that were sent up on a Space Shuttle mission. The leaves are now turning white (not yellow, white; no white spots, just completely white). Is this plant dying?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frank325

invasion of the AV snatchers?

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 3:52PM
bspofford

Are you in Maine?

Barbara

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 6:37PM
fuzzyleaves(5)

Hi,

Bleaching of leaves can be caused by a few things. The first thing that comes to mind is that the plant got too cold. Is it by a window and are the leaves facing the window the ones bleaching?

Too much sun can also cause leaves to bleach. I have a few of the "Space Baby" violets also, and I've found that they tend to like less light than my other violets. I also find that the edges of the leaves curl up when they get too much light, but I've put them in lower light before they get a chance to bleach. I'm betting that this is your problem.

Failing all else, a magnesium deficiency can cause bleaching of leaves, although this is usually seen with new leaves coming out of the crown. The remedy for this is to add epsom salts to your water.

If only a few leaves became bleached, I would remove them so that the plant can recover faster.

Good luck!
Christine

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 8:51PM
sistadm_comcast_net

Hello,

Mine are turning a light,pale yellow,is this caused by
the light too or can I be messing up with watering?

Michelle

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 6:28AM
aviolet6(7)

I am pretty sure you both have plants receiving too much light as I've unfortunately dealt with that a lot trying to get the light right for them under florescent lights. Better move them farther away or to a less lighted location. Mine have not recovered quickly from too much light.

Tricia

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 11:56AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

I would agree with everything said above plus I would use a very weak solution of a fish emulsion to leach the soil of these pots. Then - move it further from the window as was recommended above. You get a silght nitrogen boost from FE.

I.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
Photographing AV's Question
This AV is a very dark shade of purple in real life...
lucky123
Mini Violets!
Here's some baby miniatures that I absolutely love....
suyoder
Violet ID?
Hi Y'all! I was curious what these violets would be?...
suyoder
sooo, what's new?
Got new plants? Trying something different? What's...
froeschli
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™