African Violet getting leggy

gardannMay 19, 2006

I have a great spot for violets. They do extremely well with little effort. I have constant blooms. I have one that is very old and doing well, but it seems to be getting leggy. The plant is growing tall almost like a little tree with leaves all the way down. It blooms regularly.

Is this something that is a problem?

I have not replanted it in years. Could it be root bound?

Of all my violets, this one used to belong to my grandmother so I am extra careful with it.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

African violets need to be repotted about twice a year; if not they grow a long tree-like trunk.

Leaves that are reaching are probably needing more light. Provide more light for better results.

Nancy

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 4:34PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Ann, check the link below; Rachel's site has lots of cultural info, including pics. You have what's popularly known as a 'turkey neck'. Your plant, that is. ;-) It happens to all violets when the old leaves die and are pulled off, and is relatively easy to deal with, with a little care.

Good luck and welcome.

Korina

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachel's Reflections

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 6:52PM
greenthumbgardener

This is just the nature of the beast! With advanced age, this happens almost inevitably. Don't be afraid to perform the surgery as suggested in Rachel's Reflections, but go one step farther and save the original plant stub, because it might produce some offsets that you can grow or give to friends. Some of my plants have produced 10 or more additional plants this way. Also, save some of the leaves that you took off when you performed this procedure, to double the chances that you will succeed.

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
How can I get my AV's to bloom?
I started a few AV's from leaves. They are big enough...
zzackey
Looking for the post that had using CFL?
I thought it was in this section maybe it wasn't but...
loveofbostons
Too much light?
I thought that my miniature AV was doing OK with a...
Larry Mayer
Propagate and Sell Registered AVs?
I am getting into propagating and growing AVs and was...
mojosavage
Optimara Rita
Looking for Optimara Rita AV leaves. Would love to...
carolyn18810
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™