Can you help me ID this variety?

vilvere(5)May 24, 2009

Hi everyone! I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. I have been growing african violets for a few years now and I have one standard that I do not know what kind it is. It was my first AV...and yes, it's the one that started it all! The problem is, it was given to me by a friend that had nearly killed it and she wanted to see if I could nurse it back to health. Since it was given to me, I have absolutely no idea what variety it is. It's quite possible that it is a noid, but the flowers on it are so unlike anything else I've seen that I suspect it is a named variety. Anyway, here are a few pictures:

You expertise and help is very much appreciated!

Christine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
m3rma1d(inside)

It's a very lovely noID :-)

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 6:42PM
flowergirl70ks

Could it be Harlequin?

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 7:27PM
fred_hill(6)

HI.
There are five av's in FC2 that have Harlequin in their name. None of them match the photo.
However, take a look at this and see what you think.
Melodie Kimi (8100) 09/15/1994 (Sunnyside/Levy) Single white sticktite pansy/purple-blue top petals, tips. Medium green, plain, quilted, wavy. Standard
Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA Photo Library

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 7:53PM
fuzzyleaves(5)

Hi Fred,

This is vilvere, just decided to change my username :P

Wow, you have a really good eye! I think that may be what I have. Judging from the different images I pulled up on different sites it can have a fairly variable appearance but mine definitely matches that description and looks a lot like many of the photos.

Thanks for looking, I really appreciate it. I think it may be time for me to finally bite the bullet and buy myself a copy of FC2!

Christine

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 8:18PM
sumirevbd

It looks a IDENTICAL to a Noid I own that I bought at Lowes. I mean this picture can easily be a picture of my plant! It had an Anthoflores tag. But the Harster's site doesn't have information on the varieties anymore.
I also own Melodie Kimi and although it resembles each other, Melodie Kimi is a more bluish color.

Violet :)
(a registered lurker that rarely posts)

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
Photographing AV's Question
This AV is a very dark shade of purple in real life...
lucky123
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™