Lovely Picture Trail of AVs and other flowers

lathyrus_odoratus(5A-IL)June 30, 2009

As I'm creating a list of violets I like, I'm looking at lots of websites and photos. While looking for a particular named variety, I stumbled onto this wonderful PictureTrail gallery that is completely public. There are multiple galleries and one of them is even of how to identify different leaf types.

Many of the experienced people are familiar with this, I'm sure, but those of us who are newer will probably find most of these galleries very helpful. The grower, presumably Janet, says she's over 1000 specimens at this time. To me, that seems a full time job!

Her pictures, for the most part, are very well done, too. Most times I could see more from her pictures than many on the Websites selling the plants!

Enjoy the eye candy.

Here is a link that might be useful: AVJanet's PictureTrail Galleries

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bspofford

Thanks for the link. Great photography of well grown plants. Something for us all to aspire to......

Barbara

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 11:23AM
dognapper2(5)

The eye candy is tempting! (Should probably come with a warning though ;)

The folder that might serve you well, research-wise is her problem leaf file. Most likely some of these issues will arise eventually on your new adventure...

Although what she calls a 'basket' on Happy Trails doesn't seem like quite the problem some of the others clearly are! I have a Trailer (Dusty's Rich Red) throwing up baskets all over the place. I've been calling them bloomstalk leaves but 'baskets' is much cuter.

My plant with baskets - even more now since photo was taken - as many as 6 that I can count:

http://violetvoice.yuku.com/sreply/2673/t/Bloomstalk-leaves.html

Here is a link that might be useful: problem leaves

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 1:15PM
phoebesviolets

I've spent many hours on Janet's website--drooling and learning. Her photo tutorials on leaf types and pests are very informative.

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 5:20PM
lathyrus_odoratus(5A-IL)

I have yet to get through all of the folders. It's on my list....I knew as soon as I found it that is was a gem. I just hope some people who haven't seen it are now aware of it and can enjoy it, too---either for the eye candy or the education, or both!

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 10:02PM
pattykay_gw

Janet is one of the moderators on av brat pack for those of you who don't know. She is the hybridizer of the Allegro series. Very much in the know about avs. Check out the av brat pack forum, very nice people there, lots of pics and info. Patty

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 11:28PM
ima_digger

I agree with patykay. av brat pack is a great site. If you want info that's where to go. Lots of knodledge posted there.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™