leaf stems full of water

maidinmontanaJune 20, 2008

I posted earlier about trying the leaf cutting, I had another thought, when I cut the leaf off from the mother plant I noticed it had a lot of water/liguid in the stem. Not mushy, more crisp. it kinda made a faint popping noise when I cut it and I could tell it was very firm, is this how they are supposed to be? They have a nice color and are healthy looking, but it is a fairly new plant. Thanks to any and all comments.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bspofford

Yes, crisp is good!

Barbara

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 1:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_c

No worries maidinmontana. Crisp is good. It sounds like you have a young plant. However, if the leaf was a tough one on the last row of an older mature plant, it can take a LONG time for it to produce babies and you might want to select a younger leaf. The first leaves I set were old outer ones that I cut off when repotting. It took over a YEAR for babies to come. Arghhh! It's best (with MUCH faster results) to propagate using a healthy leaf from the second or third row: the younger ones are too immature and the older ones are too worn out. Good luck and let us know when you see the babies.

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
boron deficiency?
i have heard this term thrown around some recently...
suyoder
Miniature african violet drooping badly
I recently bought a miniature african violet at a violet...
bluedahlia5
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
Top Dollar And Tommie Lou
I read that Top Dollar was one of the original 10,...
lucky123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™