how can I make my violet flower?

xiachJune 2, 2011

I got a pot of violet a month ago, at least it'd still bud and flower, but lately it seems like it's not flowering anymore, though I'm seeing new leaves coming in in the center...the existent flowers keep wilting...soon I won't have any flowers :( am I doing something wrong? I have it in a self watering pot and I never get water on the pot...I live in Northern California...

here's a pic of the flower

http://flic.kr/p/9PGBJ2

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of the flower

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aviolet6(7)

It looks healthy to me. My plants usually take a rest before starting to produce more blossoms. If you pull off the dying blossoms it will start working on making new blooms faster, so I've read. If you are not fertilizing it you can read up on how to best do that too. If the blooms lasted several weeks it is probably getting sufficient light. In the past I've had plants I brought home drop their flowers within a few days, due to low light.

Tricia

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 4:37PM
xiach

can I just use generic plant food for it? I bought one that you can use with house plants/flowers/vegetables.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 4:58PM
donna_c

I agree with Tricia: your plant looks normal and healthy and has pretty flowers. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Some hybrids bloom almost constantly while others take breaks of various lengths between blooming. New flowers come with new leaves, so you'll probably see new buds before too long.

Although your plant looks good, I posted an AVSA article at the link below that has good tips on how to get a violet to bloom.

The AV Society of America has information about fertilizing here: http://www.avsa.org/BasicCare.htm#Fertilizer
You can search for more information - there are many opinions on how to fertilize AVs. With a self-watering pot, I use about 1/8 to 1/4 of the regular dose in the reservoir at all times. A generic food will work but note the percentage of urea in it and try to find fertilizer with the lowest level, preferably none, but not more than 10 percent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Won't MY AV Bloom?

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 6:04PM
tommyr_gw

Like others have said, some bloom more frequently than others. Also, how often and what do you feed them? I use a 1/4 strength mix of orchid food at every watering and keep them in bright, indirect Sun. Usually the reason a flowering plant doesn't bloom is either not bright enough light and/or they're not fed enough.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 9:32AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

There is an orchid food for orchids that are grown in bark - and it looks like 30:1:1 with a very heavy nitrogen number - it won't work for the long run, if the numbers are more like 7:9:5 for example - will work like a charm. There are specialized AV fertilizers, there is a fish emulsion that is also helpful. Hungry violet will not bloom, guys are right.

Irina

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 4:05PM
xiach

Now all the flowers have wilted and I pinched them off...so now I just have a pot of leaves...looks like leaves are still coming in in the center...I THINK there are buds, but they never seem to grow into anything...

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 2:33PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

X -

you ony have this plant for just over a month. It gets adjusted to your conditions and it will bloom again. Have patience! Everblooming plants are usually made of plastic. Real plants - are living creatures, they grow, they develop leaves - and when the plant is happy and full of energy - it will reward you with beautiful blooms. But to be sure that your plant is happy and strong - you need to provide for it - it should have air and water and fertilizer and light - all in the amount they need - not more not less.

If you look at your plant - try to see a beauty of the plant itself, It tries to grow a symmetrical rosette, tries to grow strong pretty shaped leaves - and the flowers will come soon.

We cannot not make a baby in one month - even if the boss tells you so ;-)). Everything comes when it is ready.

Good Luck

irina

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 9:32PM
xiach

here are some pix i took this morning...does it look ok to you guys? are those buds in the first 2 pictures?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/watamelun/

Thanks for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/watamelun/

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 5:36PM
thominindy(6)

Hello Xiach.

You should remove the entire bloom stalk, not just the flower. Other than that I think your plant looks fine. As Irina said, be patient and your plant will reward you.

Thom

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 12:01PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Thom is correct - when your flowers from this bloomstalk are done - remove the whole bllomstalk. newbloomstalks with buds will come from under the leaves above the ones that already sent a bllomstalk.

Your plant looks happy and healthy. get ready to the new flush of blooms soon.

I,

PS Some plants bloom all the time - some come in flushes.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 3:19PM
petty

your plant looks normal and healthy and has pretty flowers. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Some hybrids bloom almost constantly while others take breaks of various lengths between blooming. New flowers come with new leaves, so you'll probably see new buds before too long.

Here is a link that might be useful: petty

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 2:43AM
fred_hill(6)

Hi X,
I agree with Irina's assessment of your plant. I would however remove some of the secondary leaves (leaves which are smaller than the ones on top of them). I also remove entire bloomstalks. New bloom generally arrives from the three top layers of your plant. I don't like using self watering pots and keep all my AV's in plastic pots.
Side to Irina: I love your statement that ever blooming plants are usually made of plastic.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
Nancy Robitaille
It occurred to me when I saw the post on propagating...
froeschli
backyard greenhouse advice welcome
Hello All, Does anyone have knowledge of backyard greenhouses?...
fortyseven_gw
fancy bloomers order?
ok so i got a tracking # at 4:30 on tuesday evening......
shihtzu4su
Looking for the post that had using CFL?
I thought it was in this section maybe it wasn't but...
loveofbostons
What is happening to my African Violet leaves?
The edges are getting pale and brown and drying up....
louder92
Sponsored Products
Salix LED Accent Pendant by Cerno
$315.00 | Lumens
Veneto Luce Brushed Nickel Nine-Light Round Flared Two-Tier Chandelier with Lace
Bellacor
Serge Mouille 5-Arm Spider Ceiling Lamp - Serge Mouille
$7,500.00 | HORNE
Page Leather Bench - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Cade Towel Bar & Dual Robe Hooks
Signature Hardware
Filament Design Wall Mounted Stewart 1-Light Outdoor Antique Rust CFL Wall
Home Depot
Core Ten Bioethanol Outdoor Lantern
FRONTGATE
Comfort Dreams Select-A-Firmness 14-inch California King-size Memory Foam Mattre
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™