Where to find 'Mississippi' African Violeet

showboatJune 17, 2008

Hello,

I have searched EVERYWHERE for the Mississippi variety African Violet from the Optimara State Series line. I cannot find it or the leaves for sale. Does anyone know where to find this one?

Thanks,

David Dumas

in Mississippi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Hi David. Try calling Lyndon Lyon's and brennans. I phoned in my orders and was told they had many AV's not listed on the site..It can't hurt to try..
Lyndons.. 315-429-8291
Brennans. 540-477-3600
There's also Violet Barn and Violet Gallery.
I Googles, Mississippi AV, Violet Barn popped up..I checked, but couldn't find it on their online site, but it's inevitable, they can't list every plant. Toni

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 3:35PM
birdsnblooms

David, forgot to mention, back in the 80's, Park's Nursery sold Mississippi AV's..the name sticks because it was one of the pretties of the few state AV's available. Toni

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 3:37PM
showboat

Thanks Toni. I will give these folks a call tomorrow. Maybe they will also have the New Orleans City Series violet.

Thanks,
David

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 9:34PM
keallaigh(8a)

I found an Optimara Mississippi this spring at either Home Depot or Lowes. It is already blooming again. If you haven't found one, I'd be happy to send you a couple of leaves...

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 7:03PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

I looked around for Mississippi and I can't find it anywhere either. I had hoped that the Selective Gardener, the official Optimara website, would have leaves of Mississippi for sale, but they don't. If you really want the plant I would take keallaigh up on his/her offer.

Larry

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 9:32PM
donna_c

Three Oak Violets has leaves for sale at
http://www.hometown.aol.com/acashallison/myhomepage/garden.html (scroll down to their 2008 sale list and click). I have never ordered from them so I can't give you any feedback on how good the vendor is, but it might be worth a try since you can't find Mississippi anywhere else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Three Oak Violets 2008 Availability List

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 10:52PM
donna_c

I forgot to add to scroll down to the list of standards to find Mississippi. The lists are alphabetized by sizes.

~ Donna

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Silverglade's Pennies or Chariots
Does anyone have a leaf or clone of Silverglade's Pennies...
littleblackbat
boron deficiency?
i have heard this term thrown around some recently...
suyoder
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
Never had an AV before - newbie question!
I've been gifted an african violet this afternoon (no...
TrilliumFae
First blooms
My Fair Lady. Isn't she grand? :)
sueok_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™