New to Forum

katmitx(8a)June 1, 2013

Hi all, I've had AVs since the mid-90s when my dad bought me a noid. I fell in love with it and got a few more in the early 2000s (all noids). Those I had til last year when my cat got heartworm and started ruining them.

For my b-day this year my parents gave me a couple Optimaras with no ids. My cat is better (yay!) and doesn't seem interested so far (*crossing fingers*). However, while one is doing fine the other appears dead already (got them late April). Quite annoyed by thatâ¦

This time around I want a collection of named ones, so I ordered some leaves and wait with anticipation.

BTW, I posted to the Mystic Mermaid thread in the image gallery and would like some input.

kat (from) mi (living in) tx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda

Kat,
There is a Russian Mystic Mermaid that is properly labeled with the Russian name although it seems as though the Russian name is still pending. The Russian name is the true name of the violet; the translation, Mystic Mermaid, is used as a convenience for those of us who do not speak Russian.
Now, there may be a violet under the English name Mystic Mermaid that is an entirely different cultivar. That would have to be looked up on the African Violet Master List.
The first picture is the true blooming Russian MM. Yours may be a different cultivar or it could be a sport. Many of these varieties are unstable and revert to others colors. From your picture, I think you have a sport although it would help to see the leaves.
Does this help or just confuse???

Linda

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 6:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Welcome to the forum, I know you will enjoy it, I have learned tons of good info since getting active here. I have been collecting since last Aug. I also started with NOIDs, then got hooked on named types.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Another newbie question
If the Rob's Combustible Pigeon has 3 sports and another...
frankielynnsie
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
Happily Blooming
My 2 'O Modesty African Violets are happily blooming...
lola8325 zone5KS
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™