2011 Hot / Hard to find varieties

SonorityJune 6, 2011

I was just curious. What seem to be the hot varieties this year (2011) in everyone's experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thominindy(6)

Yukako was supposed to be hot this year. I got mine late from LLG, and the venders are not yet sold out. What happened to the Black Violet that mermaid posted last year? I can't find the post.

Thom

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 10:47AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Aaa =

Dark Night of the Soul...

very variegated, very dark,,,doesn't seem that it is a perfect show plant though.

Yukako -

this is something that was around for 5 years, I think. Excellent plant, easy, grows naturally well and easy to propagate - gives suckers - not too many, but enough to keep them growing. Plus holds to the flowers for long time.

I.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 8:49PM
Sonority

Dark Night of the Soul is absolutely stunning. I go crazy for variegated miniatures and semi-miniatures, so I stared at that one a while! Okay, more than a while. :)

Is it commercially available? I did see it listed as unavailable on the Cedar Creek Violets site.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 10:14PM
Sonority

I remember years ago, I was working as a grower for Hines Color and the big thing one year was when the Wave Petunias were new. Holy man, 2 acres of those things and every last flat made it out the door.

It seems like the black flowers are hit or miss, although this year it seems every garden is filled with the black and the black/yellow petunias.

So maybe it will be the year of black and the demand for the Dark Night will really take off for the hybridizer. :D

Sorry, it's 8am on a Saturday and I'm a-ramblin'!

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 8:33AM
More Discussions
Violet Barn?
Has the Violet Barn stopped selling leaves?? I love...
suyoder
Trailing AV leaf problem
I've had this AV for about 1.5 year now and it was...
k3ping
Blooms on the way!
I was so excited to find these! I haven't had blooms...
suyoder
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™